Chapter 20: Journey West IV

After leaving that town, we started embarking on a path to reach the desert. The vast sandy sea that splits the Xi Kingdom from ours. I wasn't looking forward to it. I didn't know when exactly but knew that I would have to escape before the attack.

We didn't get the chance to bathe at the town from before and had to set out early before the sun rose. The bandages around my chest was getting more and more unbearable. I knew that this trip wouldn't be a luxury one, but I was still not prepared. I had to bite my tongue from expressing grievance or else Li Runze would abandon me to meet my doom in some random wilderness.

Noon passed and we reached a small border town. A town where ruffians and illegitimate business were rampant. But the town was also lively and colorful. Li Runze graciously allowed for us to take a break and find lunch. I tied my horse up to the stables and went looking for Wen Lu.

I gave her my hand, and she hops off the carriage with a smile.

"Young Master! Look at this place. I've never been anywhere like this before."

I smiled in return, walking side by side, we excitedly entered the market center.

Wen Lu pointed to an insect dish that made me frown because she wanted me to try it. She laughed and pulled me to a different stall. We settled for some meat buns and ate as we walked through a path with hanging curtains. It blocked the sun from hitting the customers as they browsed various store fronts. Picking up a flower crown made of cloth, Wen Lu placed it on my head. The strands of white beads hung all around the crown.

"Very pretty!" Wen Lu complimented.

Bashfully, I looked to the ground and scoffed. She grabbed a hold of my shoulders and turned me around. "Isn't Young Master pretty, Liu Ying?!"

Next to Liu Ying was Li Runze. Staring down with contempt right at me. I could feel my limbs go numb and weak. I took off the crown and put it back down on the table.

"Wen Lu, that's not funny!" I scorned. She held onto my arm as I rushed forward into the crowd.

After lunch, we took off again from civilization. The desert made the sun more ferocious. Thankfully, I was able to fill up my water pouch before leaving the border town.

Soon the sun began to set at the horizon. The beautiful rosy sky surrounds our traveling caravan. Darkness following after. Li Runze instructed the group to settle for the night, others started building bonfires while some set up tents. The tents were so small that they could at the most only fit 2 people. I started to worry who'd I have to share with tonight.

Running up to Physician Huang, I pulled his sleeve as the fire reflected in his eyes.

"You're rooming with me, right?" I asked.

"I am not."

"What?!"

"I cannot sleep next to Young Master knowing what I know. It would be disrespectful," he says with a straight face.

"What? But- What about the person who I will have to sleep next to?!"

"They won't know and therefore won't be offending you, Young Master."

I rolled my eyes. "As long as it isn't Li Runze I have to sleep next to."

"I've talked to Lord Li, and he's offered to share his tent with you tonight."

"You- Why would you?!"

He's sent me to sleep with the demon!

"It's fine. He doesn't know. You wouldn't want to sleep next to a strange man in this expedition or your cousin?"