Chapter 26: Journey Home III

The sounds of crushed dirt and horse stomps surrounded the silence inside the carriage. I didn't hear a peep out of Li Runze until we arrived at the next town. The progress home had taken a leisurely form since there was no urgency to return.

I knew that the next major event was going to now take place.

We will run into Liu Ying's childhood friend, Zhong Yu. He was another admirer of hers, to be honest. I remembered reading that he wished to take Liu Ying back to the Western Kingdom but had to relent because that meant pushing her into an arranged marriage. That was not going to work out in his favor because his goal was to have Liu Ying all to himself.

Zhong Yu confirmed Li Runze's suspicions about Liu Ying's identity and lead him to actively investigate the assasins sent after her. At this point in time, Li Runze openly contended for Liu Ying's affection, and his jealousy amounted a cute side of him that no one had ever seen.

I was going to steer clear of the drama and keep to myself. By the time evening had come, I could hear arguing in the room next door. Pressing my ear to the wall, I only heard bits and pieces.

Zhong Yu must be discussing with Liu Ying, and Li Runze should be eavesdropping by the door.

"What are you listening to so intently?" The breeze of a soft whisper grazed my ear.

I turned around with my mouth immediately gasping out of shock. "What are you doing in my room?"

"You didn't come out for food, so Wen Lu asked me to bring you something." I looked over to the tray he had set on the table.

Huh? He's here on Wen Lu's orders? Why is the boss doing this?

"Aren't you worried about Liu Ying? Seems like she is arguing with someone." Flustered, I avoided looking into his eyes.

"Zhong Yu's a friend from what I was told."

Yeah... but why are you here?

"I see. They must have a lot to catch up on. He seems to like her more than a friend though."

I quickly observed Li Runze's demeanor. There was nothing. No evidence of agitation. He continued to stare at me like he had no thoughts. And another puzzling thing was that he didn't seem to be in a rush to leave.

Wandering to the other side of the room, I quietly asked, "Say, aren't you a little too comfortable around me these days?"

The thumping of my heart matched with the steps that made its way with intentions to conquer. Li Runze's towering height dominated overhead. His glaring eyes flickered with welling tension.

"What do you mean?" He asked in return.

"Hey... You're too close." I reached out my hand to push him away. Only the tightness of his chest felt oppressively hot causing my fingers to tremble over.

"Obviously, like this!" I pointed out. "You acting like this is weird. Don't you usually try to avoid me?"

Pulling away with crossed arms, he says, "I find you suspicious more so than my contempt for you."

Suspicious? Just what is going on in his head?

"That's why I've decided to survey you closely."

"Are you suspicious of me because of what happened with the assassins? I promise you, I had nothing to do with them! Do you really think I'm smart or brave enough to plan something like that?"

"Not you. Probably someone close to you."

I was about to ask him what he meant, but he interrupted.

"Why have you been acting so out of character, Hong Liumeng? You often let your guard down and pretend to be care about others."

"Have you been observing me that much? What? Are you in love with me or something?" I scoffed.

A strong force sent me back, forcing my weight onto the bed. Trapped with Li Runze on top, I felt his arms heavily slammed down.

"As if. Even if you're a woman under all these clothes, I will never come to like you. Maybe if I wanted you as a plaything, I'd allow you to sleep with me."

Ha! So this is the charming side that is not shown to the female lead! What a jerk!

"Disgusting..." I mumbled.

"What?"

I smiled, letting out a chuckle. "I said you find me disgusting, so how can you even get it up? After kissing me, I bet you scrubbed your lips raw. Did you develop a crush on me now or what? Want me to take responsibility? If you wanted me, all you had to do was ask nicely. Don't become a bully like me to get what you want."

"You're annoying!" He quickly got off and hurried to the door. "Just what did you do with the old Hong Liumeng?"

Although he appeared mad, he didn't slam the door behind him.

He's just becoming stranger! Does he really want to know why Hong Liumeng changed? I wonder if I told him the truth, would he believe me? Or would he use it against me, which he has attempted to before. I haven't admitted I'm a woman, but he seems convinced I am and has kept it a secret for me despite threatening blackmail. Should I tell him that I'm not Hong Liumeng so we can start over with a clean slate? Can he really look at my face and not feel rage boiling inside, even if I'm not the same person? I don't care to be on friendly terms with him. Having him watch me is unnerving. I can't deal with his attention anymore. Need to draw his gaze back to Liu Ying somehow.

*Author's Note*
Hello Readers, I know there's been a delay in my writing! Sorry to all those who have been waiting. My mental health hasn't been the best, so my time have been used for self care and restoring energy. I love writing but not especially when it feels like work 😅 Thank you all for the support!