Chapter 1: Fool for Love

"Wu Guang Hong... I-- I've always liked you. More than a friend. I've tried to suppress my heart, but in the end you always found your way back. It's frustrating, upsetting and pointless... These feelings I have because I know you only see me as a friend," I sniffled.

We were standing in a dark alley way. Obviously I had too much to drank and was spouting nonsense. That's what I do when I was drunk. Alcohol is the truth serum for me.

Guang Hong's eyes were as big as a cat's astounded glare. I caught him off guard, and he didn't know how to respond. Frozen in time, his body was stiff.

Wiping the tears away from my eyes, I wished he would do it instead. It would make my heart flutter. And then he would pull me into an embrace and say I feel the same way! Alas, we weren't filming a drama scene, and he didn't want to reciprocate my feelings. These feelings that I had kept hidden for so long.

"Miaoyu... but you know I like Xiao Wei." His words cut deep into my heart, lacerating it with acid poison.

Ah. What was I thinking? After all these years, he's still not over her. I should have known.

Letting out a deep breath, I replied, "I know. No matter how many times I tell you that you deserve someone who likes you back, you'll still wait for Xiao Wei."

Being friends for 5 years, I knew from the start that he was in love with Xiao Wei. She was our mutual friend through work. However, she left to pursue her dreams of becoming a doctor and was now in medical school. I admired her so much. We still keep in touch and just had celebratory drinks earlier because Guang Hong was leaving the company for a new job.

She was beautiful. She was flawless. Her small, pale face and doe eyes drew many to pay close attention. Her long flowing hair fell over her shoulders and when she brushed it back, she looked like a model in a commercial. Her skinny legs and tall height made her the object of affection for many. Besides that, she was kind and brave. She liked to joke around and had many friends.

I hated to admit it but a part of me was jealous. Jealousy, envy, hatred were present in my heart. But it never meant that I wanted her to fail or cause her harm.

Guang Hong was a fool. He fell for her the first time they met, and he never told her his feelings upfront. She would always be busy with school, work and family to be dating seriously. Everyone at work knew that Guang Hong was crushing hard on her. Of course, this spread to Xiao Wei who told me that she had no interest in Guang Hong.

She said, "He's good looking, but I don't see us dating long term."

"Why do you say that?" I asked.

"He's just not man enough for me."

It made sense. Xiao Wei didn't date particularly good looking men but men who were successful. Doctors, lawyers, rich businessmen. Guang Hong was a struggling office worker like me.

I didn't think I had high standards. It's natural to be attracted to good looking people. Yet, I never thought of myself to match supermodel looks, but was aware that I had a pleasant face. I wasn't too tall but also not so short. It was just that I'd struggle with weight my whole life and was still trying to accept my body. I often told myself that it wasn't that I was too fat, but that society's beauty standards influence women to be too thin. I wasn't an unhealthy weight at all, it was just that I didn't fit a size 0.

"Miaoyu, I'm sorry." My mind returned to the situation at hand. Guang Hong looked at the ground, kicking the concrete. He was too embarrassed to face me.

"No. I'm sorry. I made things awkward for us. Please forget I said anything. I just... drank too much."

Stumbling away, I turn to leave. My ankles cannot support the ridiculous heels I had on and would trip me up. Luckily, I could still walk a straight line and approached the bus stop. Sitting down on the bench, I realized what a big mistake it was to tell Guang Hong about how I felt.

These whole 5 years I spent being a friend to him. Giving him advice and listening to his worries. I knew that his mother had fallen at work, and had helped bring her to her doctor appointments when he couldn't. And when he felt frustrated at work, I would allow him to vent to me. He would tell me his sorrow about Xiao Wei whether or not he should make his feelings clear. I'd always told him to be careful with her. She was a good friend but knew how to play the game.

I gave too much of myself and ended up with nothing. I shouldn't have hoped that one day he'll finally see me. He already saw me... I just wasn't even a choice.

By the time the bus came by, I was drowning in tears and my sobbing could not be contained. I didn't have the energy to move from my spot and the bus left without me.

I was an even bigger fool than Guang Hong. I started liking a man who would come to me about his one-sided love.

I was the fool.