Chapter 25: Journey Home II

Hot...

It feels hot.

I awaken with my face sticking to the skin of another. Her soft breathing gently brushes against my forehead. Lifting my head, I see the exposed area on Hong Liumeng's chest. Heaving up and down, droplets of liquid cover where I was lying.

She's sleeping soundly. A faint wheeze escapes her lips. I notice drool leaking from the side of her mouth down to the pillow.

"You're aggravating," I whisper sharply. She closes her mouth, swallowing and then resting peacefully as before. Much of the tension in my chest is directed at the her state. However, it is also directed at myself.

Being embraced in her warmth, her fresh scent infiltrates my nostrils causing a distorted image in my head. Her soft body feels nice, cushioned against mine. I couldn't help the burning sensation that was starting to brew.

Her small hand suddenly swat my lower body away from her stomach.

"What are you doing?!" I bashfully hiss.

"Stop poking me..."

Embarrassed, I feel the heat arising in my cheeks. Sitting up quickly, I look over at his highness. He's sleeping now, and it's still dark. I'll move Hong Liumeng back to her room before anyone notices. I pull her shirt tight, closing the opening. Lifting her off the bed, I quietly bring her back to her room.

Placing her down, I throw the light covers over, tucking her in. She didn't awake this entire time.

Closing the door, I keep my eyes on her for just a bit longer.

~~~~~

A couple of days have passed in the Kingdom of Xi. To mark our departure, the local government were throwing a celebration for us. A huge bonfire was lit in the center of the city. The people were joining in folk dancing and singing. Li Runze seems to have built a good reputation with the people here, not just business people but the civilians of Xi. Being the Male Lead, I guess his positivity halo reaches all crevices of the novel's world.

Staring at the bonfire, I sat at one of the benches away from the dancing circle formed by the locals. Wen Lu hopped over excitedly, taking my hand and forcing me to join. The sound of the drums was struck rapidly, and everyone's steps quickened faster and faster.

Someone broke away and allowed room for us to link with the others. My right hand almost took the person's hand next to me. Quickly peeking up at their face, I hesitated and let my hand hover awkwardly.

His piercing gaze stunned me into a frozen dunce, unable to look away. Impatiently grasping my hand fully, he pulled effortlessly and guided me along with the rhythm.

The fire illuminated his side profile. For the first time I saw him smile in such a way that my heart skipped a beat. His shy glance to the ground, then sparkling eyes elevating to the skies.

I was so adorned by his demeanor that I didn't notice Liu Ying at first. She was staring at him lovingly, holding his right hand on the other side.

The sinking feeling I felt was a mixture of disappointment and humiliation.

I can't believe I was swayed by the Male Lead... Ai-yah! As if I can even afford to fantasize about him in some sort of way.

Putting up with the prolonged dance, I followed the steps and movements until the music subsided with everyone cheering. Immediately pulling my hand away from Li Runze, I felt his fingers held on tightly. Confused, I looked at him and our eyes met. He finally released my hand, acting as if he just didn't try to stop me from escaping his grasp.