Chapter 3: Fleeting Reality

His white sleeves flutters with grace as the wind brushes by in the coolness of night. Liu Ying freezes as the mysterious man pulls out a sword, its blade reflecting the moonlight. She digs her nails into her palms, whoever this man is, he was probably sent to kill her.

Suddenly a gust of wind cuts past her shoulder, and a man's voice grunts quietly. Looking back, she sees a figure dressed in all black fall to the ground.

Turning to the flawless man with the face of a beauty in the front, Liu Ying trembles with endless fear.

The man returns his bloody sword into its sheath. "Hmph, aren't you going to thank me for saving your life?"

Wow! It's just getting good!

But I had to be at work at 8 in the morning.

So I closed the book, and tried to go to sleep. The thoughts inside my mind was riddled with handsome heroes and graceful maidens. How brave Liu Ying was for a princess of that time. She not only left the only home she has ever known but also wanted to bring dignity to her passion of becoming a traveling artist.

Barely alive, I walked into our office with dark circles. I had woken up late again and couldn't be bothered to buy myself a cup of coffee. Our work meeting was starting in 15 minutes. Throwing my bag on my desk, I made my way to the conference room.

CEO Xia was lecturing us about gaming strategies. How we can move from phones to a different platform. We were a small gaming company focused on providing games for mainly young girls... We made visual novel games.

The entire time I was thinking to myself that if we had better pay maybe we would have better work efficiency but alas I never say anything as usual.

I did love the work that I do. It's creative and stimulating. Developing characters and then fleshing it all out into an enjoyable story for the players. I helped mostly with the designs. Drawing the characters and setting. It was a small company with 3 or 4 successful visual novel games, so I guess the pay was working it's way to better numbers.

After work, I was looking forward to a night of-- you guessed it, reading novels and binge watching C-Dramas.

Of course, I had a bit of homework to do for work. It really didn't stop after attending school. Homework would always be assigned no matter the career. CEO Xia wanted us to come up with new ideas to help promote the company, but she was really asking an empty walnut like me to come up with something. That was just a misuse of power.

I guessed it's nice she's asking everyone for input not just the writing team.

As soon as I got home, I went to my room and closed the door. My parents weren't home, probably out shopping.

Unexpectedly my room was sparkling clean. No mountain of clothes, no disorganized piles of scattered papers. What happened to all my stuff?!

I called the culprit on the phone.

"Hello?" She said.

"Mom, what happened to my stuff?"

"I cleaned it!"

"Why did you do that? I can't find my things anymore. For work too!"

"Then you should have cleaned your room! I've told you many times to do it, but you never do. I got sick of seeing your mess and cleaned it for you."

"I'm not a child. I'll clean when I have time."

"Yeah, you're not a child yet I keep having to remind you."

Ugh!

I look for my box of novels I'd collected on my desk but didn't see it.

"Mom, where did you put my box of novels?"