Chapter 10: Bump in the Night III

Being a side character in a novel taught me that a world created by a writer held so many unforseen elements. Hong Liumeng's repressed identity caused him to look for an outlet by dressing up at a brothel. Even the outskirts of the city was designed to have this kind of peaceful nature when the novel never really disclosed its description.

"Ahh!" My foot slipped in a shallow hole along the dark path.

I couldn't even see Runze's shadow in front of me anymore as the looming trees obstructed my view.

"What is it?" I hear his voice, a tint of annoyance.

"I-- I just tripped over a hole."

"Keep up, Hong Liumeng."

"Tch. Hong Liumeng, Hong Liumeng... I'm tired of hearing that name."

Looking down at the path in case I stumble on something else, my head suddenly bumped into a solid exterior.

"Ow!" Rubbing the top of my head, I stared at the dark figure.

"Hong Liumeng."

"H-- Ha?"

Why is he calling me all of a sudden?

"You act different these days."

"So what?"

"It's strange."

Tsk.

I pushed past him, walking up ahead. "Whatever, it doesn't concern you."

Confidently walking forward, I was pulled back and fell against his chest. His arms wrapped around me like something out of a romantic film.

Oh, my God! Did we change the theme to BL?!

"Careful. An old trap." His gentle breath brushed along the side of my face.

I could feel the temperature rose in my cheeks.

He grabbed a hold of my arm and led me around the device. Picking up a stick, he threw it down. The trap clicked loudly, echoing into the night.

I flung his hand away. "You don't have to treat me like a young lady just because I'm dressed as one."

Covering my face, I walked on without him. We finally reached a path with the moonlight aiding a bit of glow.

"Why did you dress up like this anyway?" He asked from behind.

I stopped my steps. Frozen to the spot, I wasn't sure how to give an answer that would be believable. One that would not point to the fact that I was actually a girl.

Aren't we beyond that point, though?!

"Doesn't concern you," I replied.

Just drop it, Li Runze. Don't you have a damsel to run back to?

"Well, you look the part." He walked by, his eyes wavering over a certain part of my body before a mischievous smirk appeared on his face.

"For your information, Runze. I am on a mission at the moment. Of course, I have to look the part!" I quickly trotted after him.

"I doubt your father will be pleased."

It's almost morning when we arrived back at Hong Liumeng's manor. He indeed walked me all the way back. Although he did keep a good distance between us, as if we weren't traveling together at all.

Runze didn't wait for me by the manor's entrance. He kept walking toward the direction of the inner city, where that brothel was.

He's probably worried about Liu Ying... I hope she's okay.