Chapter 18: Journey West II

Reading through travel books and texts about the Xi culture, the candlelight flickered in the dark.

"Work, work, work. Can't escape no matter what reality I'm sucked into," I mumbled.

Li Runze assigned me to study up on the culture of Xi. For a novice traveler like me, I also had to read up on traveling experiences of others. He really was a bossy jerk. The piles of books littered the surface of my desk! I suppose it was for my own good.

"Young Master, I brought you some tea and snacks." Wen Lu entered my room with a tray.

"Thanks, Wen Lu. That's kind of you." I decided to take a break from reading and close the book. Wen Lu set down the tray on the desk and placed the porcelain cup of hot tea in front of me.

I took a bite of the dessert she brought. The rice cake was chewy and the taste not overly sweet.

"About this expedition..." Wen Lu said as though she hadn't figured out the words yet. "Are you confident to go?"

"Well, I'm nervous but have no say. Father asked the 5th prince to officially assign me. I'll just have to keep a low profile throughout the whole thing."

"Lord Li has a whole caravan of his people. Shouldn't you bring your own people who you can trust?"

Looking up, I saw her eyebrows furrowed and the glow in her eyes pleaded unspoken words.

"I'm not going on the expedition as the Young Master of Lord Hong's Manor. I'm only a lowly assistant who will have to stay on Li Runze's good side to survive."

"Doesn't that mean that you must have a trusted ally nearby? If something goes wrong will Li Runze protect you?"

Now that... I already knew. He would throw me to the wolves if the opportunity came up.

"Would my presence be burdensome?" She asked quietly with a sullen gaze at the ground.

I guess she only wants to go with me to make sure I was well. However, that would mean I'd have to constantly keep her near and worry about her illness. Having her stay here will be better for my mental health.

"I'd love to take you, Wen Lu. But..."

"Staying here without you, I feel uneasy. Your family doesn't seem to like me, and I haven't even met your mother. I'm afraid of meeting her without you here."

Sighing, I understood where she was coming from. Technically, she was the first daughter-in-law of the Hong Manor. Her worries were founded. Without me here to act as the safeguard, she could be left to her own defenses.

I've watched all those historical drama! I know what went down when wealthy families looked down on their sons' lower class wives and concubines.

"I just worry about you getting ill on the way," I told her.

She didn't respond and the color on her face was drained. I stood up from behind the desk and go to her side. "This doesn't mean I don't want you to come along. It's just if you fell ill, I would feel terrible. But don't worry, I'll ask Li Runze. There will be more than a dozen expert physician traveling with us."

She gave me a half-hearted smile, not completely satisfied.

The next day I attended another meeting at Li Runze's residence. The big group was taken to Yuelong restaurant for lunch. Liu Ying was about to pass me by. Her steps were interrupted as her eyes lingered on a page of my journal.

I quickly closed it and she said, "Young Master Hong, are you an artist as well?"

"Ah... you saw."