Chapter 19: Journey West III

It was finally the day we set out. No amount of preparation could ever uplift my confidence in facing the demon called Li Runze.

At least I had Wen Lu by my side... and somehow Physician Huang got looped into the matter. He insisted on traveling with us, which led me to believe Mother must have found a way to weasel him in. This way he could keep an eye on me and make sure Hong Liumeng's secret wouldn't be found out. Nevertheless, I was glad he was coming because Wen Lu may become ill on the journey.

Early before daybreak, I was summoned to arrive at the city gates and report to Li Runze. Wen Lu came along. Dressed in thin layers, I wanted to be able to withstand the summer sun while we ventured into the desert.

On my strongest horse, I directed it toward Li Runze who was waiting at the gate. A lighter tan, the horse's mane shined as I had just brushed it that morning. Wen Lu's hands gripped me lightly around the waist. She was seated behind me. Since she was to be traveling on the carriage, we came on the same horse.

"Good morning..." I said knowing Runze wouldn't respond.

He stared at me from the corner of his eyes and said, "Miss Wen Lu, you may ride with the items in carriage 3."

"Yes, Lord Li." She lifted her leg over the horse, placing her hands on my shoulders for support. Hopping onto the ground without trouble, she made her way to the carriage.

I spotted Physician Huang at the other side of the carriage lineup. I nodded at him, and he did the same in return. The 5th Prince rode in on his steed, talking to Liu Ying. I remembered he changed his spot in the travels to be near her. In the end, his efforts were for naught.

"You."

I turned my attention to Li Runze as he coldly called out.

"You will take mental notes. Traveling by my side, you must retain whatever I tell you and learn."

Nodding, I suppressed the rise of dissatisfaction about to infiltrate my facial expression. The purpose of the journey was for me to learn new skills anyways, and bring some kind of ambition back to Lord Hong. However, the main thing was to stay alive and avoid trouble. In the middle of traveling, an attack from bandits would happen as it did in the novel. Li Runze and Liu Ying would fall into an underground cavern and be trapped. This was a typical event for the main characters to become closer and have feelings grow deeper.

No matter what I must avoid the main characters and survive! Find a way home!

I will keep my bag close to me at all times. That way I'll have what I need to live.

My stomach hurt before we left. While I did go to the bathroom, nothing came out, so I knew I was screwed even before the terrible expedition began.

Liu Ying rode her horse on the other side of Li Runze. He was sandwiched in between us. There were a few men riding in front of us, but we were part of the first group, leading the rest of the caravan.

The silence was somewhat of a blessing. I could plan necessary steps in my head. Li Runze would interrupt my thoughts to point out some traveling information where I had to feign interest.

Runze finished with a death glare. "Did you get that?"

"Huh? Uh, yeah." Going down a steep hill, I pulled back the reign on my horse as it slowly galloped. My body gently lifted off the horse, and I felt something flowing out.

Oh my God...

"Hey, Runze... When will we stop to rest?"

"Not for awhile." He didn't take a look at me and stared ahead.