Chapter 17: Journey West

"I know my wrongs. I will do anything you say to alleviate the damage done. I apologize, I humbly ask for forgiveness... No good, no good." Pacing back and forth outside Li Runze's home, I rehearsed different ways to atone for my regretful offense against him the other day.

I was sure he wasn't willing to let this go. He would make sure my experience on this expedition would be worse than enduring punishment in hell.

Still, I have to try and kiss up to him for my survival. What am I thinking?! N-- No more kissing!

"Young Master, I don't get it. Why are we here waiting for Lord Li? Even if you have to assist him on this expedition, he's still below you as you are Lord Hong's son." Xiao Yang complained.

I cluck my tongue. "Before things get worse, I need to try and appease that loathsome miscreant."

"Just what did Young Master do to Lord Li that offended him?" Xiao Yang tilted his head to the side with a look of complete confusion.

Unable to answer, I stalled. "It... It was because... I threw a punch at him. R-- Right in his face."

On his lips to be exact.

"Young Master..." Xiao Yang shakes his head. "I understand your anger, being forced to do something you didn't agree to. But punching someone in their home? Lord Li already hates you, how are you going to rectify this issue?"

"Xiao Yang, that is why I'm here."

A carriage arrived a bit later, and I prepared myself, expecting the worse. Li Runze stepped down from the carriage, walking straight into his manor.

"Hey! Li Runze, how are you?! I, uh, came to ask if you need help with anything for the expedition." Working up my nerves, I approached him with an overly enthusiastic attitude.

He stared from the corners of his eyes, ignoring my attempts to make peace.

"Runze, wait! Wait, please." I held onto his sleeve. "Xiao Yang."

Signaling him, Xiao Yang quickly brought over the gift I purchased that morning. It was an expensive piece of metal artwork from the famous craft store in capital city. Wrapped with red silk, the art rests inside the wooden box.

"This is, um, a gift. I hope we can both put aside our differences and work together to benefit our country."

Nose high in the air, Runze looked down on me. No expression on his face. He continued walking on and disappeared inside his home.

This isn't gonna be easy...

"How rude! Young Master, how can he ignore you like that?" Xiao Yang barked.

"I knew it won't be easy. Even so, we must persevere." 

Just then a few carriages pulled up to the front, and men dressed in the finest apparel descended. Their smiles and sly expressions announced that they were all men with power, rich businessmen or political advisors. Many of them brought their group of henchmen and walked into the manor. 

"What is going on today?" I was talking to myself, but one of them heard.

He replied, "Greetings, Young Master. Today, we are congregating at Lord Li's manor for our first meeting about the expedition to the west. Aren't you going as well?"

I didn't know about this. Did Li Runze purposely not invite me?

I cupped my hands and bow. "Of course, I will be attending. Please."