Chapter 2: I Give Up

Thank the heavens that it was the weekends or else I would have to go into work with the puffiest eyes in the world.

I message my best friend, Yi Ping.

I did it.

Did what?

I stupidly drank too much at the going away party for Guang Hong and...

???

I got rejected by him.

You mean you told him??

I was drunk!

I thought you were over him!

I thought I was too! It was the alcohol that made me act foolish...

Don't blame the alcohol. But you know what, he doesn't deserve you!

Ha! Right!

Can you meet? Let's meet at that cafe near you.

~~~~

"Did you really mean it when you told me you tried to distance yourself from him?" We were now at the cafe. Yi Ping placed my hot mocha on the table. I slowly drink, accumulating whip cream on my lips.

"I did."

"And? What happened? Why did you suddenly confess your feelings?"

I hesitated to tell her. She was going to lecture me again, although I did deserve to hear the harsh words.

I replied, "He got a new job at a gaming company that fits his interests. In my drunken rationality, I know we weren't going to be friends any longer. Or that we wouldn't stay close anymore. I figured if I won't see him anymore then I might as well tell him."

Yi Ping clucked her tongue. "You're too soft hearted."

"I believed that one day he would see me, see that I was compatible with him. I cared about him and knew a side of him that no one really knew."

"Don't hurt yourself by thinking you were special to some man who used you as an emotional dumpster."

I frowned at her.

She nagged, "You told me yourself that you listened to his worries about everything: work, family, and love life. But when you tried to talk to him, it went straight out the other ear. He couldn't be bothered to care."

I moaned, "Ugh! Why can't I just meet my soulmate like you and Raul?"

"I was lucky. I met Raul at the right place, right time. You will meet someone a hundred times better than Guang Hong."

"I'm tired of waiting. I'm just not gonna wait anymore."

"What do you mean?"

"I'm tired of liking a guy who just wants a supermodel girlfriend. I don't want someone who just wants to be friends, and I don't want someone who's not going to be serious. So far that's all that's been happening to me. I quit."

"Take a break. Work on yourself. Don't let this one person ruin your hopes of finding someone."

"Ugggghhhhh."

Yi Ping is the type of friend to encourage me but also hit me in the face with reality. I'm lucky to have her really. After coffee, we said goodbye and I went home.

I mean she was so lucky she met Raul. While studying abroad in England. It's like a story out of a Hollywood romantic comedy. They dated while in England and Raul found a job here, so he relocated to be with Yi Ping. Of course, her parents disapprove of them but their love is real!

"I just have rotten luck..." I was back in my dark room, lying on the bed and staring up at the ceiling.

I could hear my mom vacuuming outside my door. She knocked yelling over the noise. "Clean your room! So dirty how is anyone going to marry you?!"

"Ugggghhhh."

I was 24 and still lived with my parents. Maybe that's why I was so undateable? But could you blame me? I couldn't even afford a cheap studio apartment based on my pay. On top of worrying about dating a good person, I also had to think about survival in this day and age.

Besides my parents didn't even want me to be out on my own. Some backward mindset that I would become loose and bring men over to my apartment if they're not around. Like no worries! Something like that could never possibly happen.

I hid under the covers and pulled out a silly romance novel from under my pillow. I was rereading it because it's one of my favorites.

The ML was somewhat of a modern man living in the Tang Dynasty. He was a businessman and expanded his various trades in the country. The FL was a strong headed character with goals to become decider of her own fate. She was a princess from the western kingdom. Hiding her identity, she ventured to the central plains and became entangled with the ML and the 5th prince who was actually her betrothed.

I already went through 20 or so online novels that were so-so. I reread this one every few months because I liked its easy-going feel.

I sighed, "I know you'll always make me feel better..."

Time to find myself drawn into a world were none of my worries exist. Where love and romance somehow always found a way to blossom.