Chapter 23: Third Wheel III

~ An Unconscious Young Master being watched by the worried Boss ~

Standing in the corridor, I watch Wen Lu exit out of Hong Liumeng's room with a bloody water bin. Something tightens around my chest, adding strain to the newly bandaged wound.

Urgently, I push the door open and see a paled face Hong Liumeng lying on the bed. A thin quilt covers the lower body.

All that blood... Was Hong Liumeng hurt somewhere? Why didn't she say anything?

"Water..." she whimpers. Her eyebrows wrinkled together with an uncomfortable expression on her face. Her lips parting slightly.

I reach for the teapot on the table and pour the water into a cup. Bringing it over to her, I ask, "Can you sit up?"

"Nnnnugh..." she murmurs.

Gently, I pull her up to sit on the bed. She leans on me, her head using my shoulder for support. My right arm holding her close as my left slowly raise the cup to her mouth.

She finishes the water and falls deeply asleep again.

Wen Lu returns, she jumps at the sight of me. "Lord Li! What are you doing in here?"

"Where is Hong Liumeng hurt?"

She cowers, becoming visibly smaller. "Young Master isn't hurt anywhere..."

"Then explain to me what was with all the blood in the water you just tossed?"

Wen Lu's eyes widen, and she can only stare at me with desperation.

Hong Liumeng didn't have any cuts on her clothes from before. It was dark underground, but she was near enough that when I observed her closely, I didn't see any slashes made from swords.

"Young Master isn't hurt. Please be rest assured," Wen Lu quietly pleads.

"Comfortable..." Hong Liumeng whispers.

"En? What is it?"

"Changed... underwear. I have flow..."

In silence, I assess the situation. I realize Hong Liumeng's predicament isn't due to an outer injury. A bit stunned, my lips curve into a relieved smile.

At least she isn't injured.

I place Hong Liumeng back on the bed, pulling the covers over her.

"Don't tell anyone I was here," I tell Wen Lu and make my way out the door.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Riding my horse alongside Li Runze once more, we were finally back on the road. We would reach the Xi palace in a couple of days. I wondered how Liu Ying made this trip on her own. How could she leave Xi and traveled all the way to our kingdom?! Truly, she had the guts of the Female Lead. I'd feared being taken and sold.

I caught Li Runze's eyes a few times looking my way. He would quickly dart his glare somewhere else. I wondered if he was having doubts about my involvement with the earlier attack. In the original novel, Hong Liumeng didn't have ulterior motives for political gain except for his own selfish needs.

As the Female Lead, Liu Ying stereotypically had elegant good looks, a small face, pale skin with cherry lips. Not only that, she was kind and innocent, completely surrounded herself with art. Every man she encountered developed some sort of infatuation with her. This was a cliche I did not care for in most novels, but I ignored it for the sake of enjoying the easy-going feel. The two main characters have mutual respect for each other and choose to be with each other through the many obstacles thrown their way. It concluded with a happy ending.