Chapter 9: Bump in the Night II

"Come on." The young man pulled me once again.

Trying to hide my face from everyone, I covered it with my right hand. Weighing my body down against the young man's strength, he found it difficult to keep pulling. Grabbing with both of his hands, he leaned back and used all his energy as if pulling an unwilling ox through the fields. Not expecting his savage determination to bring me to Lord Gu, I stumbled forward and tripped on my long dress.

I fell over someone's laps, accidentally hooking my arm around his neck.

Oh... no! I... I can feel his breath tickling me. D-- Don't look straight at him!

Quickly slithering my both arms around him, I embraced his warmth. My face was situated next to his ear, close enough, so that he cannot see that it was me, his most hated enemy!

Runze's body stiffened even more. His hands in the air, disinterested in touching me. I was sure he wasn't willing to suddenly reciprocate affection from an unknown girl.

"Di Di Runze! Looks like you've taken a liking to my Wen Lu?" Lord Gu's voice roared with delight. At least he wasn't violently jealous to witness his muse sit on top of another man.

Heavens! This is so embarrassing... Although I don't mind being this close to Runze's... tightly wound abs. Well, under normal circumstances would be better!

Runze shuffled me closer to his chest, his arms suddenly pressing my body against his. "While I enjoy the affection of any great beauty as the next man, don't you think this is a little premature, Miss Wen Lu?"

I gulped out of nervousness. 

At least he doesn't suspect anything. He just thinks I'm an overly eager woman!

"F-- Forgive me, Gong Zi. Let-- Let me rise." Feeling around his face, I covered his eyes before standing. Lowering my head to the side, I began to walk over to Lord Gu. I could feel Runze's eyes watching my every step. I assumed he found me to be the weirdest person to ever fall in his lap! Probably was the first to even fall on him like that!

"Wen Lu, why don't you keep Li Gong Zi company over there? Pour him some wine, make him happy?" Lord Gu suggested, boasting his generosity to share Wen Lu like some kind of property. 

Why did you call for Wen Lu just to have her accompany another? 

"Uh, heh..." I hesitated to sit down next to Runze. 

Runze went ahead and responded, "If Miss Wen Lu doesn't wish to stay by my side tonight, I won't force her."

Between the two men, I'd honestly want to stay with Runze. But if he figured that I was a cross-dressing Hong Liumeng then his thirst for vengeance would surely bring me to the brink of ruin.

I suspected the young man who dragged me here wasn't employed by the establishment but was a henchman of Lord Gu. Roughly sitting me down next to Runze, the young man used force to overpower my weak knees. Sitting shoulder to shoulder, I couldn't bare to look at Runze. Keeping my face turned to the side, I avoided looking at him. 

"Wen Lu, don't be rude." Lord Gu pointed at me.

Ack!

Feeling the surface of the table for the jar of wine, I attempted to pour some wine for Runze. Except I failed to measure the distance of the cup and the wine flooded the table onto Runze's robes.

"Aish! Shit-- I mean-- Please forgive me, Gong Zi." Our hands hastily battle over who got to wipe the liquid off his lap.

He ultimately won. It was his lap after all.