Chapter 28: Ghosts of The Past

The expedition had split into multiple groups. Li Runze had assigned a few of his men to carry out duties in different trading cities.

Even if I asked to me removed from the journey and return home, I knew Li Runze would be more than pleased to use only one word to refuse.

For some reason, our team included: conglomerate CEO Li Runze, royal Prince Hong Liang, main character Liu Ying, childhood sweetheart Zhong Yu, NPC Hua Qing, Wen Lu, and Physician Huang.

I was lumped in with this assembly of main and side characters. Li Runze and Hong Liang decided to venture off the planned itinerary and led us to the southern city of Cui Shan. The marvelous city that exists along the gulf of the southern ocean and another domain of Li Runze's many successful businesses.

The inn we booked had the scenery of the city marketplace and restaurants before the eyes could meet the sea. Its deep blue stillness blended into the sky with ships as small as dots, marking the layers of waves.

I'd never pass up the opportunity to explore, even though I felt frustration for having been confined to this duty that I was forced to take on. Hong Liumeng's father pushed me into this role, yet it was Runze who chose to drag it out. 

I'd planned to get a few specialized trinkets as gifts for Mother and Xiao Yang. Wen Lu and I walked arm in arm into a few high-end stores. The owners welcomed us with bright eyes and coy smiles, expecting to oversell their mediocre wares. 

Eyeing a piece of necklace made of bright pearls, I placed my hand over to feel the smoothness of the jewelry. 

"Good sir, this is a fine piece! One of the most valuable pearls shipped to our piers," the store owner chimed in.

This will look good on Mother.

"Well, if it isn't Young Lord Hong!" A loud voice from behind entered the store with a youthful dominance. 

I turned around to see two men around my age. The shorter one in front smirks arrogantly as if I was someone beneath him. 

Could he possibly be someone above Hong Liumeng's status to be looking directly into the well-known demon's eyes?

The tall man, a step behind, stared me down. I could see his jaws clenched momentarily. 

"You are?" I asked.

"I must be of little significance for you to not even remember my name," he responded. Tilting his head coyly, a breath of annoyance withdrew from his lips. 

"Shen, we mustn't be impolite." With a hand pressing gently on his friend's arm, the man behind stepped out. "Young Lord Hong, apologies. Fancy meeting you here. This is Wu Shen, the Minister of Education's third son. I am Wen Xu, son of the Minister of Revenue."

I didn't know why this man appeared cordial, but his darkened gaze and closed smile told me to be cautious. With one glance, I would say Wen Xu was a good-looking man. Long hair pulled back into a bun and tied with a sapphire hairpiece. His features reminded me of a stoic runway model. 

Cupping my hands, I greeted them both. "Hello." 

"How is it being Li Runze's dog nowadays? I'd never thought there'll be a day you'll kneel down and call him boss." He said this in a jokingly spiteful manner, which made me I wonder why this person had the audacity to mock Hong Liumeng. I was already deemed the supposed biggest bully of capital city. Perhaps, was he an even bigger menace? 

"What? His dog?" I muttered back.

Wen Xu tried to mediate the situation. "Please excuse my friend's tone. It is just that your lordship had detested Li Runze since you were children."

Tilting my head to observe them from head to toe, I snorted, "Who keep company surely isn't any business of yours."

"Hong Liumeng, you-" Wen Xu placed a hand over Wu Shen's chest to stop him from insulting me. 

"Shen, no need to act up over this a few words with the young lord." 

"Yeah, Shen. Listen to your friend," I added. "Let's go, Lulu." 

Leaving the shop without purchasing anything, I tried to brush off the distaste in my mouth from the interaction with the two young men. Obviously, they both did not like Hong Liumeng. I was not sure what Hong Liumeng did to them, much like how I didn't know about a lot of Hong Liumeng's other crimes before I transmigrated. It felt unfair that I was burdened with this intense hatred of my character and existence! In all honesty, I didn't have the courage to prove that I was a changed person, but I didn't like being hounded by the general public or in some cases strangers, flocks of families fleeing in fear as I approach. 

 "Where have you been?" 

Startled by a low voice as soon as I enter my room, I jumped and banged my body against the door. 

"What are you doing here?!" 

Li Runze, again!

The sun was setting, so the golden rays peeked through the window cracks. Li Runze stood up with arms crossed and walked over to me. He pulled me inside the room, closing the door behind us. 

"Hey! I asked you what you were doing here."

He stared me down, arms still crossed and let out a frustrated sigh through his nose. "You left your post, and now you're questioning me. I should be the one to discipline you."

Stuttering, I tried to refute his claims. "I- I didn't. I told you already that I needed a day off."

"Did I approve this so-called day off?"

"You didn't say anything, so I took it as a yes?" I smiled sweetly to subdue his anger.

"You'd be starving on the streets if you weren't born into the Hong family." 

"Hey. I already know that, all right? Now if you have nothing else to say, please leave."

"Tomorrow you are to attend a meeting with me because you are here to work not play." I scowled at his order but could not reject the responsibility I was signed on to. 

Suddenly Li Runze's fingers lightly come into contact with my chin, he lifted it up to where I could not avoid looking at his flawless face.

"Besides when did I say disciplining was done?"  

What disciplining? Is he really thinking of corporal punishment?!

"No! Not the face!" I screamed, trying to remove my face from his hold. 

A gentle touch swiped against my lips, and it was over in less than two seconds. 

What the heck? Did he just kiss me? Why didn't it go on for longer?! No, what am I thinking!

Li Runze released me, and he took a step back. I couldn't read the expression on his face because I couldn't look at him due to the embarrassment. 

"Any time you abandon your duties or act out of line, I will punish you." With that he exited the room, and I was finally able to look at the back of this conniving man. 

"Are you kidding? Isn't this a reward? Are you trying to make me insubordinate on purpose?"

Li Runze is acting very strange! Very, very strange. He doesn't seem to have any interests in Liu Ying and is constantly challenging me. Very torturous and evil. It's like he hates me and wants to make my life hell, but he's also teasing me seductively that I can't even resist. I can't understand him. He's so irritating!