Chapter 8: Bump in the Night

My residence was eerily quiet at night time.

I didn't mind it though, I was glad to finally get some rest. Reading through the texts in Hong Liumeng's room, I found the characters to be extremely complex. Much more sophisticated and drawn with artistic strokes, I knew I had to get used to the different writing style if I wanted to be believable that I was an educated person in this time.

Hong Liumeng's schedule eventually subsided. One educator after another appeared in the afternoon for lessons. It was painful to be on the receiving end of never-ending lectures. Hong Liumeng was already 20-years-old, so it confounded me how structured his life was. By now he should have been his own man, married with a couple of kids. Not that he could have since... he didn't have the means to impregnate!

I thought about it for awhile that all this must be his mother's doing. It could be that his mother was postponing his marriage because he still needed to do more "learning."

Hong Liumeng was a true mama's boy, so it didn't surprise me that his father wasn't invested enough to appoint a well-off lady to marry his "son" already.

All I wanted to do at this point was stay in my room until all this was over. But over how? Over when I die as Hong Liumeng?!

"Terrible! Terrible!" I yelled at myself, fists pounding my desk.

Xiao Yang cowered a few times, afraid that I was going to start smashing furniture to release pent up anger. Except I'm not like Hong Liumeng, and began massaging my hands from accidentally hitting the table too hard.

"Y-- Young Master? Why don't we head out to release some stress in the city? That always seems to cheer you up?" He suggested with an indecisive tone.

"Really?" I stare at him.

I don't know if I should really be going out and explore this ancient city when I don't know much about it. It would be nice to get some fresh air and have some fun though...

"Just how much money do I have?" I ask him with a bit more enthusiasm.

"Err, Young Master gets an allowance. Although Madam doesn't want to spoil you..." He ran to the side of the bed. From the drawer beside it, he pulled out a yellow money bag.

Handing it to me, I immediately open it to count my riches. "Ooh, not bad."

"Yan, let's go!" I gave him a thumbs up and he became confused by that gesture. Nevertheless, he followed me out of the room.

As long as I have Yan to be my support, I'm sure I won't mess up and expose myself...

"Yan, make sure you stay by my side at all times," I told him as we exited the gates of Lord Hong's manor.

"Yes, Young Master!"

"Heehee, let's go!"

I didn't feel the overwhelming stress of being trapped anymore. This liberating curiosity had me excited to explore a new world!

"Woah..."

Lanterns slightly sway from the night's refreshing breeze. Establishments decorated the front of their doors with lanterns and connected across to the other side. People were still out and enjoying street food sold on carts near the road. Vibrant masks, toys, and little charms embellished the stalls with vehement vendors promoting their various goods.

"What is this?" I played with a wooden mechanism, swinging it back and forth so that the string with the little ball pounded on either side.

"Um, Young Master. That is a toy."