Chapter 24: Journey Home

"Hey, Runze. Open the door." The voice from outside sounded familiar, causing my knees to weaken.

Imperial Cousin?!

So they are sharing a room?

"Hold on.. I'm still getting changed," Li Runze responded casually. With a hand over my mouth and one around my waist, he lifted me off the ground.

"What err you dohing?!" Smothered, I could barely make out any words.

Placing me on the bed, he covered my whole body with a light blanket, leaving only my nose and eyes exposed.

"Stay quiet," he warned and then released the curtains to obscure the view of the bed. Not wanting to be found by my cousin, I somehow found it in me to obey Li Runze and remained silent.

Li Runze pulled the door opened, avoiding my cousin's suspicious stare.

"That took forever."

"I was getting dressed."

"You're still wearing the same thing." Hong Cheng pointed out.

"Go to sleep, your highness." Li Runze slid onto the same bed as me. I shook my head to reject his presence. His hand firmly grasped my mouth.

"Your cousin has good hearing. You should be less defiant or else you'll put us both in an awkward situation."

I pushed his hand away. "What awkward situation?! You're obviously taking advantage of me!"

"Did you say something?" Hong Liang asked from the bed across the room. He was lying on his stomach and raised his head to look over at Li Runze.

"Ah, nothing. Just saw a bug on the bed," Li Runze replied.

"Gross." Hong Liang turned around and tried to sleep.

Hmph! Li Runze reduced me to a bug!

"Once his highness falls asleep, you can leave. He won't hear you."

Seems they're both similar, being heavy sleepers and all.

Why is he going through this to help me? Or is this his way of getting revenge? Is he trying to torture me?

Li Runze turned his back to me with crossed arms. His breathing was short and stable.

He's so strange. I can't figure him out.

Lying there... with a handsome man next to me but couldn't touch. Ah, how pitiful. He belonged to Liu Ying!

I waited a few minutes, wasn't sure when Hong Liang was going to fall asleep. I found myself dozing off. Just then low snoring could be heard from Hong Cheng's bed.

Getting up, I rested on my elbows, peering over Li Runze to Imperial Cousin. Suddenly, Li Runze turned around with his arm tackling me back down. He pulled me close, his head snuggling uncomfortably against my chest. His arm wrapped around my waist.

"Li Runze, get off!" Only my right arm was freed, I pushed him but he would only nestle closer. Tired of fighting against him, I let out a frustrated sigh.

He's not going to wake now that he's deep asleep!

His warmth didn't feel too bad. Tempting breathe snuck inside the opening of my shirt and tickled my skin seductively. He even dared to lift his leg and propped it over me!

But if I didn't leave now, I would be discovered, right? Closing my eyes for a second, I didn't realize that would mean I would fall asleep, enjoying the embrace of this emotionally stunted man.