-Ninety-Six-

Darkening knowledge

Flightless bird is lost in time

Herald intertwined

Amani:

           "Madeline.... fancy seeing you here." Once I had collected myself form using the restroom, my bladder, a never-ending cycle of continuous trips that I simply could not refuse; I happened to be now standing in front of the same woman whose position I had ultimately taken from, her existence now an obscure memory of my grandmother's banishment from Idizian history and socialization from nobility.

            It would be dumb to ask her why she was here, after all this was the Bourluçon Dive; if you could afford the high-priced tickets, you could gain entry, that was the least of the curiosity that had struck me. I was used to Karmi's antics on finding her way here, Layton had no problem informing me of his sister's whereabouts and what she was "up to" but Madeline on the other hand....

            I nearly had forgotten she had existed.

            Even Julius's presence was somewhat available in my conscious.

            How funny it was that someone who had essentially been so prominent to everything in society was now only worth a side-glance and a whisper of dismay. I wasn't pleased to see Madeline here, but seeing her again reminded me of how childishly she had behaved when confronted about the truth of her knowledge and complacency in the death of my cousin Odette; I thought maybe if she had been more proactive—like Éliane had been the moment she had gotten that note warning us of a possible assassination attempt against us, maybe I wouldn't have been standing here, Empress of Idizia, pressured with the task to produce an heir to continue the legacy my family had been upholding for centuries.

            Madeline titled her head slightly to her left and curtsied respectfully, "I figured you would say something like that... assuming I had fallen off the face of the earth, too ashamed to show my face in public now that I have succumbed to nothing more than my past history." She watched my face for any change of emotion, but I showed her none—something I had adapted the longer I remained Empress, the ability to keep a neutral and composed face.

            Just like she had when I was simply working for her.

            "You're brave." I replied to her.

            She scoffed slightly, her gaze averting to the patrons moving about the compound before returning to me. "Oh, but barely..." Her eyes smoothed over to my growing stomach, her eyes seemed intricately focused for a moment before she spoke.

            "Congratulations on the pregnancy... I'm sure the baby will make a fine addition and heir to the Imperial Family... granted it don't take after their father." She stated.

            Beside me I felt Layton tense, I could tell he was trying to control his emotions; something that plenty of my mother's etiquette and proper decorum classes have focused on pin-pointing to ensure he was the best Emperor visually to the public; he was doing so well, maturing over the short time he had to prepare for this intense role and I couldn't be more proud of him, but I'm sure being faced with the woman who had essentially given him and his brother the cold-shoulder his entire life was quite... triggering.

            "You know I would be offended by that statement only if I knew it was littered with jealousy for the position I am in currently. You never wanted me to be Emperor, I realized that a while ago why you put me in those pick and choose situations in my life... all for me to just break one day and drop it all." Layton scoffed lightly his hands still remained carried and poised behind his back as he continued speaking.