-Forty-Nine-

Friends laugh nearby home

Winter snow hovers above

Water flows blissful

Layton:

          "I think I know who your mother is."

            Hearing those words come out of Amani's lips had me stunned almost immediately the minute she told me; I was surprised that even despite what she was going through right now with her own family and contesting the crown, something that I knew was stressing her out tremendously...

            She was still thinking about my problems.  

            I had to know it then and there, she was absolutely truthful in what she was saying about being unaware of who she really was and what her family has been hiding from her. I wish I could've stayed longer with her and just talk, just like we used to when everything was calmer but I knew that was impossible especially with her father counting down the thirty minutes he had allowed us.

            I was so deeply in love with her it was so scary, but to hear her say those words back to me after months of us just sneaking around with each other like a dirty little secret made my heart feel light; this was all new to me and I think the same rang true for her as well, but I was glad we could get through it together.

            No matter the results of the contestation hanging over our heads.

            I knew she loved me.

            Before leaving, Amani showed me a huge album that she said her mother carried for decades, all filled with pictures documenting their young childhood in the palace; I think it was safe to say after seeing all these distinct photos of Amani's mother and brother with Empress Zenaida in tiaras and such, they very much had full claim to the throne that they were seeking.

            I don't think it bothered me much mainly for two reasons, one, my brother and I weren't legitimate heirs to the throne and two, I loved Amani; I had already envisioned her beside me as Empress and although it wouldn't be by consort like initially thought, she would still fit the role well in my opinion; that was of course if she would have me when that time came. But before I could think of any of the future plans I had for myself as well as her, I still had to uncover the true identity of my mother. I had so many questions such as: Why did she leave? What kind of relationship did she have with my father exactly? Why didn't she ever try to come back?

            My father was absolutely useless when it came to figuring anything out, he refused to speak on the subject, stating that he was feeling "ganged up" on by everyone concerning this topic; I was finding it very difficult to believe that someone would be attracted and in love with him just by the way he was behaving at this time, it's funny how personalities changed quickly when faced with adversity; both my "mother" and father both exhibiting defensive behavior now that their royalty was being challenged.

             Regardless of it all, I was still on the hunt for answers and Amani somehow still in her PR mode was an amazing detective putting pieces together for me. In the album, flickering through the pictures stopped on a distinct one and pointed at it. She named her off as the "Mukami" woman that Alan had mentioned was our supposed mother. I couldn't lie the minute she pointed out the photograph, I knew it had to be her because the picture itself resembled the same woman that Alan had showed my brother and I.

            The striking red hair and prominent blue eyes that Fionn seemed to carry effortlessly were the traits I immediately pulled together as pointers regarding her identity with the one other thing that also made me raise my brow... the two distinct dimples sinking into her warm sand-colored skin.