-Eighty-Three-

Games played smoothly

Rising sun is worthy too

Friends laugh far away

Amani:

           I don't think anger was the correct emotion to describe what I was feeling at the current moment. That horrid scene that had unfolded before our little group as we attempted to enjoy a lovely nightly round of game and drinks had instantly turned uncomfortable and tense; all because Amory couldn't grow a spine whenever the topic of choice had to do with his child's mother and his girlfriend.

            I was going to put it to an end now.

            The last thing I needed was this mess of a relationship to get out and somehow poorly reflect on the Imperial Family because of that fact that my fiancé was his brother; coupled with the plans I had in store, I would not allow some childish woman who was way over her head about where she stood with her father's child ruin our work of good nature with the Idizian public. So, I assumed now was the best time if any to speak directly with the people I highly considered for the future of what this family would stand for.

            But first, Amory...

            He needed to wake up and realize what was happening in front of him was not an illusion; this was two people who clearly were not getting along. Although Nyarai was doing her best to remain calm about the situation, I could tell with how she was sitting in front of my nervously shifting from side to side, that she was quite uncomfortable. Today had clearly shaken her up in terms of the extent to which Lesedi's unpredictability could be fueled by one simple gesture: holding her child in her hands.

            That shouldn't be happening, especially when I'm Empress; I should have had more control of this situation—nipped in the butt when I realized it was getting weird, but I knew I had no power over the Mellan household; I didn't employ Zuri there and I sure as hell was not housing Lesedi under my finances, so there was only so much I could do. But I knew something that could change that control essentially, if given the opportunity.

            "I hope I haven't done anything to offend you, Amani." I turned my gaze to focus on Inyene who was also sitting in front of me shifting uncomfortably in her seat, her gaze sincere and honest as she attempted to gauge my mood at the moment. "Since I am also in this office with everyone." She added when I hadn't responded in a quick fashion.

            I waved my hand absently in her direction, "No... nothing of that sort, Inyene. Just be patient for a moment while I sort my thoughts... I wasn't expecting such an outburst this evening, so I need a moment to collect myself before I speak." I replied to her in a soft tone.

            "Remember Amani, in front of others, you are foremost an Empress. You must ensure you conduct yourself as such. They will look to you for guidance and they will surely also look to you to be the leader... the example to follow when faced with adverse decisions."

            My grandmother's words rung in my head as I took a moment to balance my thoughts and how I would come off to this entire group; I couldn't be too aggressive and unruly, it would be unbecoming of me, but at the same time I had to be stern and put my foot down to know this behavior was unacceptable...starting off with Amory.

            I looked over to where Layton was sitting beside me, he gave me a slow and encouraging smile; he knew what I wanted to say, but he would of course let me take the reins to be the one to formally introduce it. I loved how supportive he was me; there was never a power trip, or an ego-clashing between the both of us. Just like my mother had said about being in a relationship there was supposed to be—a ying to a yang, a sun to a moon, a light to the darkness. And I was so grateful that I could look to him for that kind of encouragement.