Forty-Five💜

We make it to her house and shower and lay down for a nap before dinner

Once up and dressed we head over to her grandpa's place which was about fifteen minutes away from town.

We pull up and see Davis and Diane sitting on the porch shucking corn.

"Oooh, I love touching the silk on the corn." V laughed.

"Feels like hair doesn't it?" I asked.

"I guess but I've always loved it. Come on let's see what they are doing." She said.

We walk up to the porch and Davis is grinning from ear to ear. "Hey, guys! Come on up and have a seat." He said.

"Hey, Grandpa! Diane!" V said picking up some silk and handing it to me.

"Well no that doesn't feel like hair after all." I laugh.

"A buddy brought all this today so we wanted to shuck it and get it in the deep freeze and it will stay good for a while." He said.

Diane and V went inside to check on the food she has cooking.

"How has the day been so far Cooper?" Davis asked.

"We went for a run this morning and Remi gave us a bunch of cookies and then we took a nap," I said.

"Your with Violet a lot aren't you!" He asked.

"Yeah we like spending time together and I asked her to be my girlfriend last night," I said.

"I'm happy for you! I saw the big write up in the paper about you guys taking those drug guys down. I saved it. i am mighty proud of Violet. She's my first granddaughter." He said.

"I would like to read that paper," I said.

"It's on my chair in the living room go fetch it and have you a read." He said.

I walked inside finding the chair and the paper and went back out on the porch to read it.

"Well, I'll be we got named the best partner duo since the '90s." I smiled.

V walked back out and I handed her the paper. She read it and her eyes got big. "Holy crap Coop!" She giggles.

"We need to go buy a couple of papers. Maybe we can find some." I said.

Diane walked out and laughed... "Don't worry we have extras your grandpa here bought a bunch." She said.

"I'm proud of my girl what can I say." Davis smiled.

"Dinner is ready! I hope you like chicken and dumplings, Cooper." Diane said.

"I like just about any food." I laugh following V into the kitchen.

We go into the dining room and sit down while Diane and V bring the food to the table.

We laugh and talk over dinner for the next hour. V keeps staring at her grandpa smiling and I think it's because she hasn't seen this side of him.

"So maybe next week you guys can come have dinner at my house. I would like for you to see it. It's ridiculously big but I've always loved that house." Violet said.

"That sounds great!" Diane smiled.

"We may have a visitor. Coop's best friend Cam is coming in for a week. He's in the air force and so he will be staying with us." Violet said.

"I'd love to talk to him. When I was growing up I couldn't decide what branch to go into but Army it was." Davis said.

"Thank you for your service, Davis," I said.

He smiled and looked at Diane. "Can we have some of that strawberry pie now?"

"I knew you couldn't wait for pie." She laughed walking into the kitchen.

"Diane this pie is so good," V said.

"It really is. I love strawberry pie." I said.

"Cooper honey where are your parents?" Diane asked.

"They are up in Canada with my grandfather. He isn't well and they up and moved a few years ago." I said.

"So your just here alone then?" She asked.

"Well, I was until Violet came along," I said smiling over at her.

"Oh goodness, she has him under her spell." Davis laughs.

"She sure does," I smirk.

"It's that Reece charm." Diane laughs.

While the women clean up the kitchen and put the food away I head back out on the porch with Davis.

"Violet reminds me of Alice so much sometimes I can't help but stare at her." He said.

"Alice was a very beautiful woman," I said.

"She had a heart of gold and she would have loved Violet." He said.

"Violet is a pretty lovable person," I said just as she walks out and sits beside me.

"I think we need another run after all the food we just ate." She laughs.

"We may do. Over the last couple of days, I've eaten my weight in food." I laugh.

Davis laughs. "That Remi and well Avah too they can cook. Those boys of mine are very lucky."

Well, we better get home but I had a great time with you guys tonight." V said getting up hugging Diane and her grandpa.

I shook Davis's hand and thanked Diane for cooking and follow V to her truck.

"Well, I had a good time how about you Coop?" She asked.

"I had a great time. Your grandpa is really proud of you V. He was beaming with pride telling me about the paper write up." I said.

"Did you see we are the best partners since the 90s?" She grinned.

"I say we cut those out and frame it and hang it up in your game room," I said.

"That's a great idea Coop! We are a badass duo! Just didn't want to say that in front of grandpa." She giggled.

We made it home and set the alarm and headed to the living room to watch some tv.

She snuggles up in my arms and every once in a while she would look over at me.

"I'm proud of you too V. I told your grandpa you are my girlfriend," I smirk.

"You did? I guess the Reece charm did you in Coop." She smiles and leans over for a kiss.