Dumbledore's Birthday

Well, this is a big day, a big chapter, and another big event organized by our favorite Head Boy and prefects.

In the original draft of "The Gloriana Set," Astoria's attack on Hermione at the Quidditch pitch went unavenged. But earlier readers made it clear that simply wouldn't do, so Hermione began scheming, which led to a new Dumbledore's Birthday subplot with an Inter-House Quidditch Match, and so here we are. I hope you like it!

Here's the little cheat sheet for the teams. Go Hogs! Go Warts!

Love,

Thebe

THE HOGS (purple)
Captain: Lavinia Clarke
Keeper: Astoria Greengrass (Slytherin)
Seeker: Ginevra Weasley (Gryffindor)

THE WARTS (cream)
Captain: Madam Hooch
Keeper: Demelza Robins (Gryffindor)
Seeker: Draco Malfoy (Slytherin)

Hermione stood in a tiny alcove near the Potions dungeon door, waiting for Pansy. A steady stream of Slytherins had been moving along the corridor toward the Quidditch pitch, excitement underlying their drawling tones. Draco had passed by already, looking very handsome in his cream-colored jersey with gold lettering. It was nice to see him in something other than black.

She had woken early that morning despite the class holiday, and to her surprise, Ginny was already up. Her roommate sat on the sofa wrapped in her duvet, staring into her mug of tea.

"I have this whole set of new techniques," Ginny said as Hermione joined her. "I thought I'd take a page from Astoria and not reveal everything during practices." She bit her lip. "But it's all untested against other players. Lavinia will be watching and ..." She trailed off, but Hermione knew the name she didn't say. Harry.

Hermione froze in horror. Ginny was considering a professional Quidditch career and this was her chance to impress Lavinia ...

"Ginny." Hermione's tone made the redhead look up. "Ginny," Hermione repeated. "I have a plan today regarding Astoria, but just say the word and I'll call it off."

Ginny listened silently as Hermione described the plan. Her friend deserved to know exactly what could happen. When Hermione stopped speaking, Ginny's eyes shone.

"You must do this, Hermione," she said decisively. "You must."

"But your team, and I don't want to hurt your chances with ..."

"Promise me you'll do it." Ginny grabbed Hermione's hands. "Promise me you'll succeed."

Hermione swallowed. "I promise."

Now, after standing in a cramped alcove for almost an hour, Hermione bitterly regretted that promise. She couldn't guarantee anything. So much could go wrong. Frankly, she considered her odds of success maybe 1 in 3.

She glanced down at the Marauders Map. Pansy's dot was finally leaving the Slytherin dungeons and heading her way. Astoria should be coming soon. Hermione's hand tightened on her wand. Precise timing was necessary for this to work.

Pansy stopped opposite the Merlin tapestry and leaned against the wall, looking bored. A group of students passed by without a second look at the Slytherin witch—apparently Pansy loitered uselessly around the dungeons all the time.

Hermione slipped out from behind the alcove, striding quickly past Pansy to peek around the corner to the Entrance Hall stairs. A swish of her wand and a black foggy curtain like Draco's appeared, designed to dissipate in minutes. She didn't want interference. Astoria's dot had left the Slytherin dungeons and the Keeper was alone. Hermione returned to Pansy and cast a second ward that allowed only Astoria to pass.