Fiducia

"Today," Slughorn announced, "we will begin brewing the Fiducia potion."

Hermione's pulse leaped. Finally, something interesting.

"Can anyone tell me the primary effect of Fiducia?" the professor asked.

"Trust," Malfoy drawled. "When ingested, it makes a person trust everyone they meet." Hermione glared as she put her hand back down.

"Yes, 10 points to Slytherin," Slughorn said. "And as such, Fiducia is categorized as an official controlled substance by the Ministry of Magic, along with Veritaserum, the truth-telling concoction. It is also an excellent introduction to time-brewed potions. Can anyone define a time-brewed potion?"

"It is a potion brewed under strict timing schedules," Hermione recited glibly, resigned to this new world order. "It is not merely enough to add the ingredients in the right order, they must also be added at particular times."

"Very good, 10 points to Gryffindor." Slughorn waved his wand and a list of ingredients appeared on the board. "Brewing a successful Fiducia requires practice and exceptional teamwork, so I do not expect anyone to succeed in their first try. Today we will do a few quick runs, just to familiarize ourselves with the recipe, before attempting it throughout the next week."

The professor's bushy eyebrows drew down. "I should not have to say this to advanced Potions students, but anyone found in possession of Fiducia outside class will be severely punished. This is very powerful magic. Who can tell—"

"Because the trust isn't earned," Hermione cut in. Slughorn looked irritated. Good, she thought, this is why we should use proper recitation procedures. "This magic creates something that does not exist, because real trust must be earned."

"That's ridiculous," Malfoy objected. "There are plenty of fools who'd trust anybody without the help of a potion."

Hermione shrugged. "Somebody created that trust, even if he or she isn't the recipient of it. The trust was still earned."

"And that trust can be lost," he said darkly.

"And regained again."

"That would be even more difficult," he said.

'Yes, yes, such a complex topic—and potion!" Slughorn boomed. "And you can see why its preparation and possession is strictly controlled. Time to begin!"

"What the hell was that?" Ron asked Hermione hoarsely as Malfoy and Lavender left to fetch ingredients.

"I don't know what you mean," she answered, taking off her watch and sticking it to the wall beside her. She fished a hair tie out of her robe pocket and pulled her curls into a messy bun out of her way.

"You and him." Ron waved his hands vaguely. "Talking."

"We were debating a class topic, Ronald." Hermione poured a cup of rainwater into her cauldron and lit the fire under it with her wand. "Lavender chats up Malfoy every day, why don't you bother her?"

"Hermione," Ron said, lowering his voice. "Why are you trying to keep her from Malfoy?"

She stared at him. "I really need to explain that? The man's trouble on wheels. Of course she should stay away from Malfoy! Everyone should stay away from Malfoy!"

Shit, I didn't mean that. She looked back at her cauldron, and of course, there he was, holding a tray of bottles, his eyes cold. "Malfoy, I—"

"Step one, Granger," was all he said.

"Malfoy, I—"

"Step ... one," he said through clenched teeth.