Jack- 15 (Door)

JACKS POV

I'm laying in my bed, attempting to do some homework, when my favourite song, Stacy's  Mom comes on. I immediately stand up and start dancing, turning up the volume on my speaker way louder than I should. I notice my door is unlocked, so I quickly go over and lock it, to not be subject to judgement from Ryan about how horrible my dancing is.
The song sadly ends too soon, forcing me to get back to work. I continue typing my essay when I look at the time, and realize this was supposed to be handed in an hour ago.

Oh no. I think to myself. My mind starts wandering all over the place, none of my thoughts actually good. Most of my thoughts were just "I'm gonna fail" or "I'm a failure", and my mind wouldn't stop. I slam my computer closed, standing up and walking towards the door.

Ryan will make me see that I'm just overreacting.

I go towards the door, but with my hand turning the handle, the door doesn't open. I jiggle it, pleading with the inanimate object to open. I give up and kick the door, making me trip and fall on the ground. I curl my knees up to my chest, my back leaning against the door. I start crying. Mostly out of frustration, but also a little bit out of fear. I feel a knock at the door, and a whisper from Ryan's voice asking,

"Jack? Are you ok in there?" I let out a wail of sorts, telling him I'm not ok.

"Woah, what's wrong? I can't open the door, Jack, can you unlock it?"

"No-oo-ooo! I-it's stuck!!" I cry.

"Ok." I hear him sit down on the other side of the door. "Can you talk to me? Tell me what's going on?" I just cry. I can't talk with the scratchy throat or the clouded brain.
"No? Ok. You're gonna be fine Jack. I promise. Everything is gonna be fine. You'll be ok."

"I-I'm sorry!" I cry out, wiping my nose with my hand.

"Jack, don't be sorry. You're allowed to feel emotions, you're allowed to cry. I just wish I was able to help you better." I want his help, and so I try the door again. I manage to reach up and turn the lock, turning the door handle to open against Ry's back. The door opens to reveal him who then scoots over to me, wrapping me in a hug. It was an awkward hug, but a loving one nonetheless. I cry into his shirt, holding onto it tightly with my hand.

"You're ok bud, you're ok." Ryan speaks calmly and lovingly. He rubs my back subtly, calming me down with each and every movement. After a bit he pulls away, looking into my teary eyes.

"Wanna talk about it?" He offers simply. I nod, trying to calm myself down enough to answer.

"Y-you know the essay we're supposed to do for class? It was supposed to be handed in an hour or two ago, and mine's not done yet." I explain.

"You know Mr. Markley extended the deadline on that, right? It's not due until next week." I look at Ryan in shock.

"What?" Ryan just laughs. "You mean I was overreacting about nothing?!"

"Yep!" He laughs. I drop my head into Ryan's shirt again, kicking myself for my reaction.

"So, do you wanna keep working on the essay, or do you wanna help me with a song?"

"Do you think I need to answer that question?" I laugh, standing up to go to Ryan's room.
We work on whatever Ryan could think of, and I leave my essay for another day.

A/N- thank you @loveajrand21pilots for the inspiration for this story!!