Chapter 13

'Do you know what I realised earlier?' I asked Susie the next morning, handing her a cup of tea and sitting on the sofa beside her.
               I had finally broken down and told her everything about Hunter's parents': I'd been dying to talk about it to someone besides Hunter, and I knew he felt the same and would choose Andy to talk to sooner or later. (Surprisingly, it's hard to talk to one's spouse about problems involving one's spouse!) So, Susie would have found out soon enough anyway: I figured I might as well get it all off my chest. Besides, my best friend was so alike to me that she sensed something was off from the second I opened my front door to her. Then, when I had taken her through the events of the night three days prior, she had listened, gaped and finally, offered me some very useful advice. She told me to 'suck it up, because Olivia only has one mother. From what you say, it sounds like Katherine Brookes is a right old bitch and bigot and isn't worthy to raise our Liv. So you have to win. You can't lose your daughter to someone as insecure and dysfunctional as that - you have plenty enough of that stuff already!' That's just what Susie was like. Brusque. Blunt. Emboldening.
               'What did you realise?' Susie asked back. She smiled into her tea and sipped at it as if it was nectar.
'I realised I missed my period last week.' I said, biting my lip. 'And, I was sick again this morning.'
               Susie froze, and stared at me. I gulped. 'I thought I must've been late because I was so stressed after not sleeping for most of last week, but I still haven't had it yet, and I'm caught up on sleep now. And I thought I kept getting sick because I was so stressed after being told I will probably have to go to court, but now I remember that this is how I felt when I was pregnant with Olivia.'
               Susie was still frozen. 'Oh, please say something, Suze! I'm freaking out over here!'
'I, I...' she stuttered, 'I don't know what to say! I mean, congratulations, of course, but, but, have you done a pregnancy test?'
'No.' I said. Why was I starting to feel so nervous? Or was I nauseous again? 'Do you think I should? I might just be late because of stress - I don't think morning sickness starts this early -'
'You could be at five weeks by now - if you haven't had a period for that long. It's unlikely, but, I guess it's possible. Have you and Hunter...y'know?'
'Yeah!' I said, trying to laugh off some of the anxiety. 'We used protection, but it's not always effective. I...I guess I could be pregnant.'
'I could be pregnant. I could be PREGNANT!'
'She could be pregnant!'
'Praise the Lord praise the Lord praise the Lord, hallelujah thank you Jesus! 'Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.' Congratulations, Ruthie!'
'NO. NO!' screamed Hailey. 'NEVER AGAIN.'
'Oh sssh. It's not like you went through the labour.'
'No but no four'een year old should know wha' it looks like down there after giving birth. Ugh. Disgusting.'
'I. COULD. BE. PREGNANT. I need to brainstorm some baby names - Mama will kill me if it's not Italian. Me and Hunter had Leonardo for a boy when I was pregnant before -'
'Heiliger Strohsack, Ruth, I was the doctor here the last time I checked! Get a pregnancy test before looking at cribs online, please! Your symptoms could mean something entirely different.'
'How did you not realise Ruth could be preggers, Fischer?'
'I am not inhabiting her body, am I!? How could I have known she hasn't been getting her period? Some people actually give her some privacy, Julie.'
               'Ruth.' Susie said softly. She put her hand on mine. 'Where's your nearest shop?'
'I, I'll have to drive into town.' I said. I didn't even know what I was feeling now. Worry? Excitement? Maternal? I missed Olivia, but then, I always miss Olivia.
'What about Hunter's parents?'
'Crap! What about Hunter's parents?'
'It's alright, Ruth. They can't steal what they don't know you have.' Susie said reassuringly. She took the tea out of my hand, placed it on the coffee table and stood up. She stuck out her palm.
               'Where are we going?'
'Into town! To get you a test.'
'No, Susie Q! What if it's positive?'
'Then we celebrate! And you tell Hunter. But you don't tell the Brookes'. It's none of their business.'
'I, I don't know if I can do this.' I trembled. Yep, I felt worried.
'Ruth, think of it as practise.'
'For what?'
'For court!' Susie said. I stared at her for an explanation. 'You're worried about court because you'll be walking into a situation where you have no control over the outcome. You will have to bare your soul to some good-for-nothing nincompoops wearing silly wigs and robes, and can't be sure which way they'll vote. With a pregnancy test, you will have to pee on a stick and can't be sure which colour it will turn! And both times, you have no control, but everyone around you will love you just the same if it's a positive or negative result.'
               'Damn, Susie Q.' I finally replied, smiling again. 'You're sharp.'
'I know I know, I'm amazing. Now come on, let's go and get you that test. I'll drive.'
'Thank you.'

Tried With Fire - (Ruth Harris Series)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara