Chapter 15

Hunter and I barely said a word in the car between leaving Mr Jeong's office and picking up Olivia. Even when the smell of his leather seats made me feel queasy, I held my peace - and breath.
               After a while he asked me what I was going to cook for everyone at our game night tonight, but I knew he was just trying to distract me. It only stressed me out more.
'Wonderful. As if I don't have enough on my plate already, I now have to clean the house and cook a big dinner for everyone, and then host hours of games and make sure everyone is kept entertained. Bloody wonderful.'
'Oh hush, Ruth. You love game night, and you know it. This is exactly what you need to cheer you up! Just think, Hunter will get all competitive and passionate, and then he'll take that out on you tonight, once the guests are gone. Plus, you'll get to catch up with all your closest friends and family, have Ryan innocently flirt with you, and everyone will be gushing over your haircut and your cooking and your immaculate house! I'm the one who just has to sit at the back of your head and watch it all. Enjoy the nice moments you have, Ruth Brookes, or maybe I'll step in and appreciate them for you.'
'Alright, Julie, relax. Sheesh, I'm sorry. I'll appreciate tonight. I won't complain about a thing.'
'Mummy, are you going to tell evewyone about the new baby?' Emilia asked me.
               I sighed - which is hard to do internally, but possible. I suppose I'd had so many of these internal conversations by then that I had mastered how to show emotion within my subconscious. I had mastered internal body language and gestures and vocalisations. What's even crazier to me, is that you, reader, may never have to, nor be able to do that. Crazy. I can't believe I've never asked this before, but what must it be like inside your heads!? Is it quiet? Never mind, the answer's obvious. But is it a boring quiet, or a peaceful quiet?
               'No, Emilia.' I answered her with a thought. 'I can't tell people I'm pregnant yet - it's way too soon and Hunter doesn't even know! I want to tell everyone at the perfect time.'
'There is never a perfect time for anything - just a slightly less inconvenient one. Just tell your husband that he's expecting a baby already!'
'Not when we're both so miserable, Fischer.' I thought, glancing over at Hunter as he drove. He glanced back at me and tried to smile.
'Don't you think 'I'm pregnant' is the best thing you could tell Hunter right now? If he's miserable, cheer him up!'
'...You've got a point...'
               'Hunter.' My mouth opened to tell him the news, half-consensually, but couldn't force out the words. 'Amore mio, I, I...'
'What is it, sweetheart?' Hunter asked softly. His voice soothed me all the way from my ears to my toes.
'I, I...nothing.'
'It's not the right time, guys.'

Hunter and I showed up at Mama and Marco's door around three o'clock. As I knocked, Hunter's phone started ringing. He picked it up and took a few steps down the avenue, his voice fading on the words,
'Ryan? Alright? What's up?' I couldn't help but smile at his change in tone from sensitive and soft, to deep and bantering. Ryan was a good boss to my husband: he genuinely cared for him and treated him as a friend. Obviously Hunter loved Andy like he did his own flesh, but Ryan had become a close second in the last eight since years since Hunter transferred, when we moved to Winchester. Ryan was the one who kept promoting Hunter until he got to the second most senior position in the branch - and everybody knew that if Top Dog Ryan was ever to leave, he would highly recommend Hunter to fill his shoes. I don't think Hunter would take the job though - he was CEO material, but didn't want to be. He didn't want to step up to the harsh, distant, boss-man task of leading the office. He didn't want to lose his friendships with the guys, nor the fewer working hours. I suppose his ambition slowed down after we had Olivia. Now he just wanted to be a family man: a father, and a husband.

Mama opened the door when I knocked and Olivia came dashing out to hug my legs.
'Mummy!' she squealed. I laughed and picked her up. I cuddled her so tightly I feared she was being smothered, but I just couldn't help it: the words 'I won't lie to you. The senior Mr and Mrs Brookes may have a case here' were ringing in my mind over and over and over again.
'Hello bambina! Have you had a nice time with Nonna and Nonno?'
'Yes!' Olivia gasped. 'We had pizza for lunch.'
'Wow! Lucky you! Did you thank Nonna?'
'She did indeed.' Mama chuckled in the doorway. She looked beautiful, with her blonde hair, height and fit figure. She was wearing a pretty black dress with pink blossoms scattered over it.
               'Hi, Mama.' I said. I had a look on my face as if to say 'Life has gone to crap.' She sighed but we kept our smiles, for Olivia's sake. 'Your dress is lovely.'
'Grazie! Olivia's is bellissima.'
'Grazie, Nonna!' Olivia said from my arms. Her dungaree dress was navy blue, and she was wearing her new jumper beneath it, paired with her favourite stripy tights. She had chosen the outfit herself that morning, excited to impress Mama (as she always did).
               'Is Hunter - oh, yes, there he is.' Mama said, craning her neck and spotting Hunter pacing by the bottom of the avenue. I could tell he was explaining something difficult so I didn't disturb him.
'Yeah, he's just talking to Ryan.' I said. 'But he's missed you!' I Eskimo-kissed my daughter, who giggled and kissed me back. 'Thank you for helping us out today, Mama. I really appreciate it.'
'Nonsense! You are family! Olivia knows I adore spending time with her.' Mama said kindly. 'Is game night still on at yours tonight?'
'Yep. You can come anytime. In fact, you and Marco could come now, if you want to save yourselves the trip later.'
'Oh no, it's alright, thank you bambina. Marco's still at work, but we'll get to yours for about six.'
'Okay, well we'll see you then! Thanks again, Mama.' I said. She kissed my cheeks, and whispered into my ear,
'Tell me everything later.' (After all, since my mysterious, interrupted phone call that morning and sudden request for a babysitter an hour later, my poor mother had been as cooperative as she was clueless.)