Chapter 20

The next morning, Olivia woke Hunter and me up by jumping onto our bed and accidentally bashing Hunter in the nose. At first he groaned, and Olivia giggled frivolously, but then it bled.
               I jumped up to get a cloth from our en-suite. When I returned, Olivia was apologising, crying, while Hunter was tipping his head back and trying not to lose his temper.
               'Here, here.' I said, giving the towel to Hunter. He pressed it against his nose. His eyes were watering. He swore.
'What does sh-'
'It doesn't mean anything.' Hunter and I both told Olivia quickly.
'Do you hate me, Daddy?'
'What?' I asked. Hunter furrowed his eyebrows. 'Of course Daddy doesn't hate you! Accidents happen. But you should be more careful, Olivia.'
'Okay Mummy. I'm sorry, Daddy.'
'It's alright. It's not that bad.' Hunter grumbled. He moved off the bed and into our bathroom. Olivia and I followed.
               'Is it broken?' I asked him tentatively.
'No. It's just a nosebleed. I'm fine. Go on, both of you.'
'Liv, go and get dressed for school.'
'Okay.' Olivia sighed to me. She apologised again and dragged herself back into her own bedroom.
              'You're not supposed to lean back.' I told Hunter, once we were alone. He turned from the mirror and looked at me. 'Lean your head forward.'
'Why?'
'Because if you lean back, the blood will go down the back of your throat.' I said. 'It's better to lean forward. Here, come and sit down.' I tugged Hunter to sit on the side of the bath, and he yielded. Then I pushed his head forward and adjusted the towel, which was dripping blood through a gap in the bottom. I crouched down to look him in the eye.
               'Are you okay?' I asked. Hunter nodded. 'Are you really?' I stroked the back of his head and tried out a smile.
'My nose is. Maybe I'm not.' he admitted.
'Because of Grandma?'
'Because of everything.'
'...Me too.'
               Hunter pulled the cloth from his nose to see if it was still bleeding. It was. 'Pinch your nose, here.' I directed.
'How do you know so much about nosebleeds?'
'I've had my fair share.'
'From stress?' Hunter asked. I looked down at his chest.
'Yeah. A good solid punch in the nose does the trick too.'
               He understood that I was referring to my youth years of wild parties, one night stands and substance abuse. I didn't have anyone to set me on the right path back then. As young adults often do, I very much had the 'live fast, die young' mentality, and it nearly killed me countless times. I'll tell you this for free: it is not safe to go back to the home of a man you met in a bar. Don't do it. He could beat you up, drug you, rape you or slice you into pieces. It's a dark world out there, full of dark people wanting to do dark things. The chance at a night of pleasure with a stranger is not worth the risk of an early grave.
               'Anyway,' I cleared my throat, 'We'd better get ready -'
'Don't get up.' Hunter whispered softly. I had to ask him to repeat it, to be sure I'd heard him correctly. Was he really reaching out to me for the first time since Saturday night? 'Please, don't get up.'
'Why?'
'I just want to look at you some more.' Hunter said. I gulped.
'Are you flirting with me?'
'I'm being serious, Ruth. I miss you. I know I've been working late a lot this week, and, and I haven't exactly been 'your husband' when I'm here. I just, I can't believe Grandma's gone. Forever. But I'm sorry for being so distant.'
               'I...I've got to get ready.' I mumbled, standing up. I don't know why I gave such a cold response - I think I perhaps had too many thoughts flying through my head and couldn't face a heart to heart in that moment. I regret it now.
'Ruth -'
'My first appointment with one of my ladies is at nine. Are you having the shower first, or am I?'
               Hunter looked up at me oddly for a second. Then he squared his shoulders, stood up, said 'whatever' and marched out of the room.

When I had left my shower at last, reluctant to reapproach Hunter, I found my room empty. Olivia was still in hers, playing with some dolls.
               'Mummy, do you want to play Barbies with me again?' Olivia asked, when I appeared in her doorway, damp and robed. I smiled.
'I would love to bambina, but I have to go and make our breakfast. Daddy -'
'Daddy's gone.' Olivia said. I raised an eyebrow.
'Sorry?'
'Daddy's gone already, Mummy! He just said bye to me and leaved. He said he'd see me at parents' evening later. Is he really coming?'
'Sorry, hang on, Olivia, do you mean that Daddy left for work already?'
'Yes.' Olivia said impatiently. 'Is he really coming?'
'Er, yeah.' I said. Then I left her room again, racking my brain for an answer as to why Hunter had left so early, without so much as a goodbye.
               After going downstairs (at around eight o'clock) to check for Hunter, I picked up my phone and tried to call him. He didn't pick up, so I texted him instead: