Chapter 35

My eyes opened to the sight of a meadow. It was beautiful, with wildflowers scattered around the vibrant, green grass, and the breeze around me felt so fresh, so clean, so cool against the hot sun. The flowers thinned out every now and then into small patches of land, perfect for picnicking. When I scanned around the sunny scenery some more, I found Hunter on my right. He was wearing a polo shirt, navy blue, and shorts with a pair of trainers he had worn out years ago now. He was smiling at me, but his twinkling green eyes were hidden by a pair of sunglasses. The breeze was blowing his hair out of place: he'd given up running his hands through it. I grinned at the sight of him. He stepped towards me and kissed my forehead. I slid my hand into his and started us off walking again.
               'How about here?' he asked after a few minutes. I glanced around us and saw a few other groups of people/couples sitting with their picnics nearby, so I shook my head. 'Ruth...you haven't wanted to stop anywhere.' Hunter sighed. 'What's wrong?'
               My eyes lowered to my legs, which were bare except for a pair of shorts. My arms were exposed too. It was a very hot day.
'Er,' my mouth stammered, 'I, I, I, I don't want to stop here. Let's just, find somewhere more private. Please.'
'But you look so beautiful, and I want to show you off.'
'Well I don't want to be shown off.' I said more stubbornly, dropping his hand. Hunter exhaled again.
'What's wrong? You were happy earlier -'
'Well I'm not happy now.'
'Why?'
               Hunter edged forwards and tried to hold my hand again. I moved away from him.
'I, I don't know. I don't like sitting so close to all those other young people. Don't ask me why. It's just, awkward.'
'Because of your scars?' he asked wittingly. 'Ruth, you don't have to be self-conscious about your body. It's beautiful, and I love every inch of it.'
               I glanced over at the closest gathering to us, which consisted of five men around Hunter's age and seven young women.
'I don't want them to see me.' I said quietly. Hunter looked over at them, but quickly refocused on me.
'Why -'
'I just don't want to stop here!' I suddenly snapped, making my husband close his mouth and look down at the grass. My shoulders slumped. 'Sorry.'
'It's alright.' he shrugged. 'Let's find somewhere else then.'
'Can we go home, please?'
'Oh. Okay.' Hunter reluctantly agreed. We had only been married for a year so he was still doing everything he could to please me. I knew he wanted to stay in that beautiful place, walking around the fields and taking a break from the renovations, but he gave in anyway.
               'You really love me, don't you?' I asked him, once we had turned and started walking in the direction of the car. He held my hand again.
'Of course I do.'
'Even though I'm being a pain in the arse?'
'Yep.' Hunter smiled. 'You're a pain in the arse most of the time, but I still love you.'
               As he spoke a big group of women walked past us, gushing over my husband and frowning at me. I gulped and dropped his hand, again. He sighed, again.
'They looked at me funny.' I said quietly, glancing over my shoulder to spot a few of the women doing the same. They giggled. 'They, they're judging me.'
'Ruth -'
'They were looking at me like I'm not good enough for you. As if I don't know that already.'
               I pulled my bag up around my shoulders and started walking faster. Hunter hesitated for a second before jogging round to face me and grabbing my head with both of his hands.
'Ruth, snap out of it.' he said sternly. 'Who cares what other people think? You're more than good enough for me! I married you because I love you.'
'But -'
'No buts. You are perfect, Ruth, and stop thinking otherwise. Let's just enjoy the walk back, alright? Look, the sun is out, we've got a beautiful view and fresh air and good food. You look gorgeous, I look gorgeous, so just relax!' Hunter put his arm around me as he spoke, and squeezed me tightly against his side. I finally loosened up and even laughed once.
               'Alright.' I exhaled calmly, regaining my confidence. 'Let's stop here for a bit.'
               Hunter watched as I made myself comfortable on the grass, and didn't hesitate to do the same. I giggled as he flopped down beside me and buried his head in my neck, wetting it with kisses. 'Get off me you, you, you -'
'Handsome man with big muscles and beautiful eyes and luscious hair?' Hunter jested, though his voice was muffled. I stroked his hair back and laughed some more.
'Yes, that's exactly what I was going to say. Now get off!'
               Hunter was still fooling around when some more women passed us, a few metres away but with faces clearly torn between staring at him and staring me down. I pushed him away gruffly.
'What's wrong?'
               Hunter looked around, noticed the women, and groaned. 'Ruth, why are you having such a hard day?' he asked. 'Talk to me. I want to know what's bothering you. Hey, look at me. Damn, you have such pretty eyes.'
'Stop it.' I said, batting him away but smiling. He smiled too.
'So what's bothering you?'
'I, I...' Eventually I had to sigh and blurt it out: 'Hailey said we'll be coming out of the honeymoon phase soon. I know it sounds silly, but, I'm worried. I don't want you to get bored of me.'
'Oh, Ruth!' Hunter burst out laughing.
'What's so funny?'
'Oh, oh, oh, Ruth, Mamma Mia...' he held his ribs and continued to chuckle as he said, 'Ruth, you are many things, but you are not boring!'
               I watched Hunter erupt into laughter again, and before long I was joining in myself.