Chapter 22

Court commenced.

I was struggling against my psyche for the entire 90 minutes we spent in that horrid room, but from what I can gather, Hunter and I both gave a short statement and then Mrs Tapping was called on to speak. There was no one crying out 'objection' or 'you can't handle the truth' like movies had taught me to expect. Oh no. In fact, Mr Jeong and Hunter's parents' solicitor were both timid and quiet before the judge, making the occasional comment and asking a few questions, but not overall profiting anyone much. The judge seemed to be the king of the room, sat up on his high throne with no jury: because apparently losing one's child is not considered significant enough by the government. So it was all up to him.
               The judge in question was an older man, wearing a black suit and tie. I had expected a white wig and gown, but again, that's due to watching too many films. He was actually quite boring to look at, with grey hair and dull eyes and no particularly distinct characteristics. I think his nose was quite big, perhaps. I find it hard to imagine his face now.

Mrs Tapping gave her testimony monotonously enough, but her eyes were alight with hate. I didn't know why she disliked me so much: it was infuriating, and tedious, trying to figure it out. She seemed desperate to get Olivia out of my care. I honestly believe if she hadn't voiced her recent 'concerns' to the judge at all, the case would have been thrown out that very morning. But it wasn't. She made everyone doubt me, then I remember Katherine speaking up (Phil never did), and things just got worse from there. The judge kept watching my face change while the testimonies were being given, as if he was expecting me to jump over the desk in front of me and Hunter and Mr Jeong, and claw Katherine's eyes out with my bare hands. By the time Mrs Brookes had finished her speech about how 'emotionally unstable and incapable' I am, I was about ready to do just that. Fortunately, that was when Mr Jeong started asking the questions and offered me and Hunter some respite from the ridicule. This is what I heard:
               'Mrs Tapping,' started Jeong, 'You have already stated the few safeguarding reports you have made since Olivia's introduction to your class in September. May I ask, have any of these been referred to the social services?'
'N-No.' Mrs Tapping said.
'No? So none of your 'concerns' have been actioned? There have been no investigations?'
'No.'
'And why not?'
'Because the school's safeguarding leads and deputies saw no reason to take them any further. The school is aware of Mrs Brookes' condition, and does not want to, well, er, micromanage her because of it.'
'Thank you. Did you ever mention to Mr or Mrs Hunter Brookes that you had concerns, or give them a chance to explain themselves to you?' Jeong asked.
'No.' Mrs Tapping repeated, cross now.
'Did you not deem it worth mentioning?'
'I, I-I, I -'
'Thank you again, Mrs Tapping. I have just one more question for you. My clients attended a parents' evening on the fifteenth of last month at Olivia's school. Did you not have only positive things to tell them of Olivia's progress? Did you not tell my clients that Olivia has lots of friends, is well-adjusted and creative, and can already demonstrate a good knowledge of her key academic subjects before other children of her age can?'

Hunter and I kept our indecent smiles facing the floor until the judge adjourned the meeting.

'Mrs Tapping.' I said politely, stepping closer to the woman readying herself to escape the room. 'Hello again.'
'Hello, Mrs Brookes.' she mumbled back. She glanced behind me to check Hunter wasn't too far away. He was talking to Mr Jeong about something.
'I have to ask,' I said to her, diving right in, 'why are you so against me? I know it's got nothing to do with safeguarding, because nothing you have reported has been serious, or worth taking Olivia away from me for. So I want to know: why do you dislike me so much? Why did you give such a harsh testimony?'
               Mrs Tapping looked at me coldly.
'I don't like your type.' she admitted, as if it was an acceptable response. 'My sister has BPD, and it's ruined my family.'
'Because of something she's done, or because you aren't supporting her?' I asked. Mrs Tapping's eyes hardened even more.
'Because I can't spend two seconds with her without being physically and emotionally pushed away! I admire your husband's patience - I sure don't have it.'
'A little patience goes a long way, Mrs Tapping. Hunter was patient with me in the past so that now he doesn't have to be.'
'Well, not everyone changes like you. My sister has been the same for years now.' Olivia's teacher said. 'I'm not expecting her to go back to the way she was. She won't accept my support like you did with Mr Brookes.'
'I didn't accept Hunter.' I said firmly. 'Not at first. I wanted him, badly, but I wasn't ready to let anyone in for a long time. I was too scared of being abused or abandoned again, so I pushed him away. It's something people with mental health issues often do: we push people away to see if they'll come back, like rubber bands. And if they come back, every time, we eventually accept them. But it takes a long, long time. Wounds don't heal overnight, Mrs Tapping.'
'Yes, well, you try going back to someone who's sworn at you and spat in your face every time you've tried to help them for the last five years. You'd give up too.'
'Mrs Tapping, I do it for a living.' I chuckled. Her lips parted slightly, though in surprise or to mock me, I couldn't tell. 'Let me just ask you one more question: how does giving up on your sister help anyone?' I asked.
               Mrs Tapping sighed.
'I've got to go and pick up my niece. My sister isn't in the frame of mind to drive today. Goodbye, Mrs Brookes.'
'Transference.' I called out to her when she tried to walk away. The lady stopped and glared.
'I'm sorry?'
'You heard me. You're transferring how you feel about your sister onto me. You're angry because your sister has a mental disorder that makes her need a bit of extra help - help you can't be bothered to give anymore -, and you're taking it out on me. Mrs Tapping, I hope you understand that you may contribute to the dividing of a family, simply because you're upset that it happened to yours. That is unfair, and wrong.'
               For a good few seconds I thought that Mrs Tapping might have been pondering on what I said. But then she opened her mouth and shattered my hopes.
'You're mad, Mrs Brookes. Goodbye.'

Tried With Fire - (Ruth Harris Series)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara