Chapter 16

I don't think it was long after that moment when Emilia dissipated and Ruth took back over. I remember spending a lot of time apologising to all of the guests for the intrusion, until they practically had to shout that I was not to blame and no harm had been done. I still apologised to them all again as they left, around eleven.
               'Thank you for a lovely meal, and a lovely game night.' Emma said at the door. Ryan was yawning at her side. 'We had a great time. It's going to be at ours next week, I believe?'
'Yup.' Ryan said groggily. Hunter smiled back at them.
'Thanks for coming.'
'And I'm sorry again for -'
'Don't.' they both interrupted me, kindly and firmly.

Hunter and I went back into the living room to see Susie sitting on the sofa beside Mama, and Andy and Marco leaving to go to the kitchen. They beckoned for Hunter, who followed with one eyebrow raised. I sat with my fellow women.
               'What are they going in there for?' I asked Mama and Susie. 'More ice cream?'
'No.' Susie replied. 'They're giving us a minute to talk.'
'Okay...?' I squirmed in Hunter's armchair and pulled my knees up to my chin. 'What do we need to talk about?'
'You, bambina.' Mama whispered. 'You've been acting, well, strange, recently.'
'It was Emilia!'
'We're not talking about tonight, Ruth. Or at least, not just tonight. I want to know why you haven't been sleeping properly these last few weeks, and why you needed me and Marco to look after Olivia earlier with no explanation!'
               I looked between them both while Mama spoke. Then I sighed and hung my head.
'Guys...'
'You don't have to tell us everything on your heart, bambina. Just tell us the problem. We only want to help you.'
'I'm not relapsing, Mama. I promise, it's nothing like that.' I said. 'I'm fine. With everything that's happened lately, I think I'm actually doing pretty well.'
'But what has happened lately?' Mama pressed. She was leaning forward on her knees, while Susie sat beside her, pretending to not know everything.
'It's, I, I don't know if I should say, Mama. Hunter -'
'Oh forget about Hunter for a second Ruth.' Susie grumbled. 'For once, you need to think about yourself. You need to get something off your chest, and this is the way to do it: right here, right now. Don't think about anything but cleansing your mind of what's stressing you out.'
               I stared at my toes for a few seconds before giving in. My nails were painted blue - I had wanted white but Olivia said it was 'boring', so I opted for her favourite colour instead. Then I painted hers and she ran downstairs to show Hunter, losing some of it against the carpet on the way. January had managed to get the stains out.
               'Alright.' I sighed, sitting up straighter and putting my feet back on the ground. 'Alright, I'll tell you as simply as I can.'
'Go on.' Mama encouraged gently. I took a deep breath and lowered my voice;
'I'm pregnant.'
               Mama's face lit up like the fairy lights hanging around the four corners of Olivia's bedroom.
'Bambina!'
'Ssh!' Susie and I both hissed. Mama clapped a hand to her mouth and jumped up to hug me tightly. I could hear her stifled squeals through her fingers, as she rocked me side from side and kissed me repeatedly.
               'But that's not all - Mama, you're crushing me.' I wheezed and we all sat back down. Mama's legs bobbed up and down, because she was excited and expecting me to expound some more good news. Instead I, desperate to free my shoulders of the yoke, told her the bad news too. 'The other night Hunter's parents showed up here. Mama, they're taking us to court, because they want custody of Olivia. Our first hearing will be on my birthday.'
               This time it took a lot more effort to hush my mother up when she jumped up from the sofa once more and nearly whisper-screamed the house down. Susie couldn't refrain from growing furious again too.
'Why the hell did you wait so long to tell me!? You knew about this, Susie!?'
'It's absolute bullsh-'
'How dare they? How dare they!?'
'Those bastards deserve to rot in hell for even suggesting that you and Hunter aren't good parents.'
'Alright, alright! Now be quiet, both of you!' I hissed irritably. 'This only happened on Monday night, and Hunter wants to keep it quiet. He thinks we can beat this thing on the twenty seventh and be done with it. He has faith.'
'So do I. I believe that his parents are two of the most prejudiced, bigoted sons of bitches I have ever known, and now they are trying to take away my grandchild - oh!' Mama choked up and sat back down. I moved between the two women and put my arms around them.
               'And lastly,' I piled on the last of it, 'since both of these things have stopped me from sleeping, I have been having hallucinations of my alters. So far I've seen Blaze twice, X, and when you came, Suze, I saw Emilia. It's weird and has never happened to me before, but it's been happening recently when I'm exhausted. And I'm exhausted right now.'
'Are you hinting for us to leave?' Susie asked, attempting a smile.
'Yes.' I confessed. 'I'm sorry, you know I love you both more than anything...but I'm knackered and I know I'll have to explain all of this to Hunter tonight too. Mama, he doesn't know I'm pregnant yet so don't tell him you know.'
'Of course. Of course.' Mama muttered, her face a mixture of every expression that one can make. 'I'm so happy for you, Ruthie. But I'm so sorry - and angry - about Phil and Katherine! They're being ridiculous. They'll wake up soon.'
'I hope so.' I said. I disagreed with her optimism but didn't have the energy to explain why. Susie could tell. She squeezed my hand, knocked her temple against mine softly and sighed, before standing back up and going to get Andy. I heard her tell him it was time to go.