Chapter 17

'Mamma Mia.' I gasped almost silently. Air was stuck at the back of my throat, refusing to be in or exhaled.
'We've got to go. Now.'
'Y-Yes, of course. I'll wake Olivia up -'
'I'm sorry.' Hunter choked. I crept to his side.
'Don't you be sorry for a thing.' I trembled. 'Let's go and see Grandma, one last time. Together.'
               Hunter and I shared one more sad look before the chaos began. Adrenaline was pumping through my veins as I jumped down from the loft, ran to wake up Olivia, told her that we needed to go and see Grandma because she was very very sick, and instructed her to get her coat on over her pyjamas, all in the spirit of haste. She seemed startled but obeyed without protest.
               Then I returned to Hunter's and my bedroom and put my hair into a quick, low bun, but by the time I was ready to go the front layers were already falling out of it again. It reminded me of running to Hunter on our wedding day, while he stood underneath the rose-studded gazebo and gawped at me in delight. Life had been so easy back then. Grandma had been the first guest to arrive. When I had initially stepped out of my boudoir, gowned, she told me I was the most beautiful bride she had ever seen, and that she was honoured to have me join her family officially. Then she had dabbed my tears away, and told me that Hunter's parents would regret not being there when they realised how special I was. I told her how guilty I felt. I told her that Hunter was making such a big sacrifice for me that day, by being cut off by his parents in order to bind himself to me, but she told me I was talking nonsense. She told me that to choose between one's soulmate and one's parents is not really a choice at all: a man will always choose his other half, not the two that formed him. Then she had kissed my cheek, hugged me tightly and promised me that someday the Brookes family would be reunited. I'd believed her then. I didn't want to believe her now, after all the damage that had been done.
               'Oh, Ruth?' Hunter remembered, pausing mid-exit from our room. His hand was on my back to rush me downstairs, but for just a moment it withdrew.
'Yeah?'
'Can you get the pictures?'
'Already in my bag.' I said, squeezing his arm and pulling him out of the room.

Hunter, I and a very sleepy Olivia were out of the house within ten minutes of Phil's call. We climbed into my husband's car because apparently 'it's faster' (which really meant that he was less likely to get pulled over for speeding in the middle of the night in a sports car, than in my 'mum car'), and Hunter took a few deep breaths before turning on the engine. I looked at him, my eyes heavy and sad too. Grandma was dying. Lovely, dear, funny, kind, honest Grandma. She was Hunter's grandma really, - Phil's mother - but myself and Andy had grown up with her too. She had always been Grandma to us, and then to Olivia, but now she was leaving this world and none of us could do a thing to keep her. It hurt like salt on a gash.
               'I should call Andy and Susie.' I whispered to my husband. Olivia had fallen back asleep in the backseat already, relieving us of the countless questions she would have otherwise asked.
               I didn't try to touch my husband. I could tell he wasn't in the mood. He is 100% one of those men who needs to 'fix' things. He can't cope with the knowledge that something isn't right or fair, which is why he has worked so hard to support me. It's why he is such a good manager: he always leaves his staff and clients happy because he does exactly what is just. It's why he was so agonised by that phone call. He wanted to help Grandma, but when her time came, her time came. There was nothing more to be done. We'd both known this moment was coming, but of course, that could never prepare us to endure it.
               'Yeah, call 'em.' Hunter croaked, then cleared his throat.
'Hunter, I'm so sorry.'
'It's not your fault.'
               I pulled out my phone and called my brother. He didn't pick up, so I tried Susie. She did.
'Ruth?'
'Susie?'
'Can't get enough of me, huh.'
'Er, I have to tell you -'
'Have you finally told Hunter the good news?' she asked excitedly, albeit groggily.
'No.' I answered, glancing over at Hunter. He hadn't heard. 'Er, look, Suze, it's Grandma. She's in a really bad way. We're on our way to the hospital to see her right now.'
               There was a pause, then Susie swore.
'Ruth, I-I can't believe it. I'm so -'
'It's alright, Susie.'
'I just can't believe it.' Susie shivered. 'Poor Grandma.'
'So are you coming?'
'Of course! Me and Andy will leave right now.'
'Alright.'
'Thanks for telling us, chicken. Hang in there.'
'Thanks Susie. Bye.'
               I rang Mama next, who had a similar response, only in Italian.