Chapter One

𝐿 𝑈 𝐶 𝐼 𝐴 𝑁 𝑂    𝐿 𝐴 𝑁 𝐺 𝐸 𝐿 𝐿 𝑂

      "I'm in charge! You are retired, you don't call the shots no more!" I shouted as my father simply rolled his eyes.

      "Boy, I've been running this business before you were born. I know a thing or two about this," he said unbuttoning his blazer, getting comfortable on my couch.

      "You stepped down, you gave me your crown, it's on my head. So start acting like it," I growled. His full attention finally on me.

      "Yes I may have given you my crown, yes I stepped down. But don't think for a second you are going to do anything without me knowing it," he snapped back at me, "I put us at the top, I will not stand here and watch you tear us down,"

      "I'm going to be better than you, I'm going to be Capo Dei Capi" (boss of all bosses) I said almost shouting again. Before he could respond, my underboss as known as my younger brother, Enzo, walked in panting as if he had just run a marathon.

      "What?" I snapped.

      "There was...there was a shipment stolen from one of the warehouses in France," he said catching his breath.

      "How is that possible?" I asked, "isn't it supposed to be the most secure places we have?"

       "I don't know boss, someone slipped in a smoke bomb. They just added new recruits to the team, so not everyone knew what was going on," Enzo said. I sighed and heard my father laugh.

      "Still think you got this?" he asked before walking out of my office.

      "Book a flight to France as soon as possible," I said. He nodded and walked out of my office too. I have a feeling this is going to be a long week. I sat at my desk and started making calls to the head of security in France. I asked him to send me all of the camera footage, so I could go over them on the plane. A few moments later Enzo came barging in once again.

      "I got the jet booked for tonight at seven," he said, standing in front of my desk with his hands behind his back.

     "Good, now have your things ready along with DavidLee's things. I'm going to need him to help with the camera footage," I said rubbing my temples.

      "If you don't mind me asking, what was going on with you and dad?" he asked, causing me to sigh.

      "He tried to make allies with a small gang in town," I said leaning back in my chair.

      "Which one? I thought we have all of them on our side," he said with confusion.

     "The Rattlesnakes," I said in disgust. He scuffed and rolled his eyes.

    "They are good for nothing, he knows this. Why would he even try to talk to them?" he asked.

     "Why does Arturo do anything he does?" I asked. He nodded, knowing that I was right. Until six-thirty, Enzo and I stayed in my office watching the camera footage and going over everything that they sent over. Mateo walked in, knocking on the door.

     "The flight is ready," he said, bag in hand. We nodded and walked out grabbing our bags that are always ready by the door. We jumped in the back of the Range Rover, with Franco the driver in the front. The ride was silent and tense. Once at the runway, I quickly made my way to the jet and sat in my usual seat.

      "Davidlee, I'm going to send you the footage. I want you to see if there were any cuts to the video or any glitches," I said, pulling my computer out. He nodded and pulled his out as well. As soon as I sent it, I logged out and stored the computer away.

       "Capo, would you like anything to drink?" one of the workers asked.

      "Whiskey," I said simply not paying her any attention. She walked away and quickly came back with my drink. She left without another word which I was grateful for. I walked to the back bedroom, taking off my blazer and button-up before sliding into the bed. I pulled the blanket over my head and shut out the world as sleep slowly took over.

     "Don, Boss, Luciano, Luca," I heard but chose to ignore it, "brother!"

     "What could you possibly want that you have to wake me up?" I asked, annoyed.

       "We landed," Enzo said, rolling his eyes before walking out of the bedroom. I groaned feeling a small headache forming in the back of my head. I slid my shirt back on, not bothering with the blazer. I grabbed my bag from the front and walked down to the car. Once everyone was in the car, I spoke to the driver.

    "To Brach Paris," I said. The driver nodded and started driving away. I reached into my bag and grabbed the Tylenol and my bottle of water. I quickly took the pills and placed the bottle back in the bag. I closed my eyes until we reached the hotel. I sighed and grabbed my things not waiting for the others to catch up.