Chapter 95 - Desperate Measures

~Content Warning: Self harm~

[Get.SkillParameters_ParallelMinds]
[SkillParameters_ParallelMinds: DominantSelf_"Millibelle", SecondarySelf_"Shadow", Harmony: True]
[CreateNewSkillFunction: "DominanceSwitch"]
[Specify New Function]
[If_True: Set.DominantSelf_"Shadow", Set.SecondarySelf_"Millibelle"]
[Specify If_False]
[If_False: Set.DominantSelf_"Millibelle", Set.SecondarySelf_"Shadow"]
[Creating...]

[New Skill Function Integrated: Dominance Switch]
[Specify If_State]
[Set.DominanceSwitch: True]
[Switching...]

Shadow's POV

I open our eyes as I desperately twist and turn our body in order to regain lift. The ground is rapidly approaching.

I groan as our wings strain under the aerodynamic forces exerted upon them when I finally manage to get in a few wingbeats in the right direction, somewhat slowing our descent. Probing the back of my mind, I feel Her curled into a ball, the onslaught of memories still crippling Her.

Baring our fangs at the sky, I finally manage to stabilize enough to bring our body under control. Our speed is still high, but at least we're in level flight. Scanning the area for a suitable, secluded spot, I careen towards a thicket of trees half covered in snow.

'Fwumph'

Okay, World Knowledge, how the fuck did this happen? Why is She incapacitated, and why am I unaffected? 

I don't wait for a response as I burrow deeper under the snow, carving out a little pocket for us to hide in. Once settled, I listen to what World Knowledge has to say.

*It is unknown why the gift of the Onryoki caused this. Skill Mutation could be said to be an intentional bug in the System, where the correct environment has a chance of endowing entities with vastly upgraded versions of Skills. The actual chance of it happening, even under these correct conditions are incredibly low.*

*Perhaps because of your nature as an Otherworlder, the chances of you receiving Mutations is increased, but data is non-existent, an accurate assessment cannot be made.*

*As to why your other half is so heavily affected by the Hitodama, it can be explained by the nature of Hitodama. Not quite an Other Will, nor a Soul, it is something in-between. The flames are a byproduct of the way a Hitodama sustains itself beyond the normal lifespan of an Other Will, by consuming Mourning Air or negative emotions.*

*Much like the smoke from a fire, the ethereal fire that surrounds the Hitodama itself is the aftermath of this process. Due to the difference in how Humanoids and Monsters feel emotion, Hitodama are unable to feed off of Monsters emotions, and as such merely ignore you, since you're the monstrous mind of the Monarch.*

*For your other side though, the situation is different. Her mind is that of a human. And as such, even though she has the body of a monster, the Hitodama are driven to harass her with their own memories in order to elicit a negative emotional response.*

*This Skill suggests the creation of a decoy capable of housing and distracting the Hitodama. Essentially giving them an easier meal than harassing your other half. You should have all the materials and abilities necessary. The hearts of a Lindorm are able to draw in energies, such as the Death Element it used to strengthen itself whilst still alive.*

Staring blankly into the air, I take in all the information that World Knowledge gave me. Seems Esmer somehow won in the end, then. She's certainly given us back twofold for us not saving the life of her husband...