Chapter 74 - Aftershocks

???'s POV

Pulsing, seething hate roils through my body. My Vessel whimpers in pain, unable to do anything else, their head just barely visible now, almost entirely consumed by the changes I've wrought to them. 

That pang of anger and hate... It didn't come from me, oh no, it came from something deeper down. A primordial force that has just realized its greatest enemy has just been reborn. That Leicher feels it too, they're writhing on the floor, no secondary Self to cushion the rage. 

Even the cocooned followers seem afflicted. Indeed, I suspect every Malice-laden being in the World has felt the effects. 

And I weep. So close to be with Her, and it's snatched away from me. 

...

If the remote option is gone, then we have to become more direct... I'm sure Leicher will be elated at the news. Drawing Her here will be no easy task, but I'm willing to sacrifice everything for the chance to be with Her again.

Grand Temple of Parshura
As witnessed by the Divine

In the capital of Parshura, B'dur, a grand building stands. Although large, it is not made of opulent materials or excessively decorated, yet it radiates a power of grandeur befitting the biggest church in the kingdom.

Within its walls, beyond the grand hall that can house half the city's population at once, lies the inner sanctum of the Grand Priestess. Only one Grand Acolyte is in power at any one time, and her making her home in Parshura might seem controversial to some, but it is in truth a matter of convenience. 

Parshura is located almost entirely in the middle of the continent, making it the ideal home base for someone who has a duty to travel to any settlement requiring the services of the Grand Acolyte, even if it means travelling to the edge of the known World.

Currently, the practically-nude form of the Grand Priestess is laid out on a padded table, her body being prepared for a cleansing ritual. Her back is covered in strange, glowing tattoos, each one representing a place of Divine Importance, such as a Divine Spring or the Great Temples. 

These tattoos, or runes, are the mark of the Grand Acolyte, and once they die, their skin will adorn the Grand Temple in the Hall of Remembrance.

With practiced hands, the Cleanser dips their brush into a bowl of sacred water. Starting at the mark representing the Parshuran Great Temple, they begin to trace a path between it and the Spring Keep Divine Spring, before their breath catches in their throat and they drop their brush.

"Cleanser, is something the matter?" The Grand Priestess lifts her head slightly as she casts an annoyed glance towards them. 

"Your... There's... Let me get a mirror." The Cleanser stammers, a manner unbecoming of them, but the Priestess chooses to hold her tongue for now, if they're this rattled by what they've seen, then she better wait with her judgement. 

The Priestess gasps slightly as she sees the large rune that's etched itself into her skin. As long as she holds the position of Grand Priestess, any new sites of Divine Importance will appear on her skin, and once she dies, her marks would provide insight to the Acolytes of the future regarding the location of historic Sites.