F O R T Y - T W O

Sin

"What the hell are you doing in Hell?" Both Uncle Ethan and I exclaimed at the same time.

We paused and I watched as Ethan cleared his eyes with the hand that wasn't holding a weapon.

"I knew I shouldn't have smoked the peace pipe with the Chief." he muttered under his breath.

I looked at him in amusement but then my smile died when I realized that this could be a trick.

My hackles raised and I took a defensive stance "How do I know you're really my uncle?"

He raised a brow and narrowed his eyes "How do I know you're really my niece?"

"I asked first" I said, my chin raised "Tell me something that only my real uncle or family would know?"

I mean, he looks like my uncle, based on the pictures lining both my own house as well as my Nana and Tata's house but somehow, I just had to make sure.

I didn't want him to suddenly turn into a big ass spider and murder me in my sleep with his little spider minions.

I also needed to know if it was really him because A. He hasn't changed a bit from the last photos taken of him all those years ago and B. because he looked so much like a younger version of my dad that my heart panged a little, wanted to receive some comfort from a family member.

Even, a dead family member.

Yep, I've officially lost it down in this hellhole.

"Kaden didn't stop wetting the bed until he was ten, when your mother started sleeping over with him during their weekend movie nights." My Uncle said smugly, snickering at what I assumed what was a funny memory.

My lips twitched up "How would I possible know that?"

"You wouldn't" He shrugged "I just wanted to mention that since it was the first thing that popped into my head."

This time, I smiled "How about telling me something that I might know?"

He thought about it for a second "You first shifted when you were born."

I gaped at him "It's really you?"

He nodded slowly "It's really me."

Before he could say another word, I stepped forward and tackled him into a hug.

"It's nice to finally meet you Uncle Ethan." I sniffled as I hugged him tighter.

He hesitated for a second before embracing our hug, hugging me tighter.

After a few minutes, he asked "Serenity, what are you doing here?"

I sniffled and remained quiet for a few minutes, which made him stiffen.

He pushed me back slightly and his eyes widened in horror "Are you...?"

"Dead?" I finished for him and he swallowed thickly before nodding "No, not yet."

"What do you mean not yet?"

I gave him a sheepish smile "I mean considering that I just befriended a minotaur, which might come back to bite me in my ass later on, and am not dead yet after multiple attempts, I'm fairing pretty well."