N I N E T E E N

*WARNING: BLOOD, GUTS, AND SURGERY RELATED TO PREGNANCY INVOLVED IN THIS CHAPTER. IF YOU ARE SQUEAMISH, I STRONGLY SUGGEST YOU SKIP ANYTHING IN-BETWEEN THE DASHED LINES (----)*

KASSI

Everything was happening too fast. 

As soon as I arrived at the hospital, the staff whisked me away and my nurse stuck an IV into me before I knew what was happening. 

She also hooked me up to the monitor and used the ultrasound machine on me for a few minutes before frowning and excusing herself quickly. 

"What's happening?" I asked my husband, my panic setting in just thinking about any complications or horrible outcomes. 

"I don't know" he murmured, kissing my forehead "But I'm going to find out." 

Before he even had a chance to exit our room, two Doctors came in, their faces serious but pale. 

"Mrs. Scott," the woman physician said softly "I'm Doctor Annabelle and this is my colleague, Dr. Ren. Do you mind if we take a quick look at your baby?" 

"Go ahead" I said, just as the nurse slipped in with her hair up in a surgical cap and shoe covers on her feet "Is everything alright with my baby?"  

Both Doctors gave me a slight smile. 

"We're just making sure" Dr. Annabelle said softly before gloving up "You can never be too sure." 

She nodded at the Ultrasound machine "Sometimes, when we try to determine the position of the baby, the little buggers act up to the point where us Doctors have to check our patients."

Dr. Ren squirted more ultrasound jelly on me and began moving the wand around the surface of my stomach. 

"Nuchal" he muttered to Dr. Annabelle. 

"Breeched too" she said soft "Nine centimeters dilated."

Now my panic was at full force. 

"Breech?" I squeaked "That's bad? Isn't it?" 

My blood pressure cuff inflated again and this time, the machine went off, alerting us about my high heart rate. 

"It could be" Dr. Annabelle said soothingly, "But luckily your nurse caught it before you actually began pushing." 

"So what does this mean?" Rhys asked, looking nervous. 

"It means she'll most likely have to have a C-Section" Dr. Annabelle answered calmly "Instead of the little guy facing head first, ready to face the world, he's facing legs first with the umbilical cord wrapped around his neck. If she tried to pushing naturally, the cord might tighten further and decrease the baby's oxygen."