F O R T Y - T H R E E

Zephyr

11 years ago 

I was visiting my Nana with my mother for the first time in six months. 

My Nana was rarely home on the this side of the country, due to her duties of being the Goddess of Agriculture keeping her away, therefore to spend time with her while my mother did her job as Goddess of Spring was a dream come true. 

Unlike my brother, I loved the Mortal realm. It was just so lively and bright and my Nana always made it a point to teach me some things about nature that my mother refused to. 

Not to mention, my Nana's house in this part of the world was perfect. 

It was a simple two story craftsman home on a big acreage of land that was populated with all these different types of trees, crops, and even flowers that were indigenous to other parts of the world. 

My mother always chastised my Nana for bringing in those exotic flowers, saying that it could harm the native plants and wildlife not to mention raise suspicions with the local mortals, but Nana always says that her land was specially enchanted because it kept everything inside the boarders she set up. 

"Zephyr!" Nana's melodic voice sounded out "I can't believe you're here!" 

I smiled and walked into her outstretched arms "Hi Nana!" 

"How's my strong boy doing?" she cooed, talking to me like I was a baby "Are you eating okay? Did you run into any problems along the way? Is your brother fine?" 

I laughed and hugged her tighter "Cerberus is doing fine. He's with Dad." 

At the word 'Dad', Nana tensed up. 

Mom must have noticed because she let out a exasperated sigh "Mother..." 

"I didn't say anything about that soul sucking leech!" she paused and then snickered "Oops." 

"Mom!" My mother sighed "I'll have you know that Hades was actually worried about you during your last trip." 

"I'm sure he was" Nana laughed "He was worried that I would tell you about how I managed to evade his little surveillance team." 

"What?" Mom asked but Nana ignored her, instead choosing to focus on me. 

"You're getting taller now Engonós" she patted my face "You look so much like your mother." 

"He looks like Hades, Mother" Mom pointed out "Right down to the dimple in his cheek when he smiles."