F O R T Y - F I V E

SIN 🌑

It took me twenty minutes to find the Chief, mainly because this place was built like a damn labyrinth. 

Hell, I didn't even have this much trouble navigating the Minotaur's Labyrinth and that place only had torches as light sources. 

When I finally found the Chief, he was on his dock gutting some large, freaky looking fish. 

"Piscë are nasty creatures to look at" he murmured from his low position "But they sure taste good when Halyn tops it on her fry bread." 

I cocked my head to the side "Fry bread?" 

He made a tsk and glanced up at me "You've never had Fry bread?" 

I shook my head "Can't say that I have." 

"You new wolves need to brush up on your ancestry" He tsked again "You don't know what you're missing out on." 

He sighed and then stood from his perch on the dock "Something tells me that you didn't come here to have me berate you about losing your roots, did you Honiahaka?" 

I shook my head in 'No' 

"Very well" he leaned against the dock railing "Ask me the questions I see burning in your eyes Honiahaka."

"What does it mean to be a Guardian and why were we chosen?" I leaned against the railing and watched the Chief contemplate my questions, his stoic face remaining impossibly serene.

 "You get to the point" His lips twitched "Don't you?" 

I shrugged "No time to waste in situations like these." 

"The Matthews were chosen because we have always had an affinity with what the world could not fully understand" he said "Before we were granted with our own Wolf Advisers by the Spirits, we knew that there was more to this world than our own beliefs and faith systems." 

He gaze at her when he spoke those words but it was like he was looking past her, focusing just enough to remember the past but not become fully engulfed in it. 

"The Matthews Pack were the only real choice to guard the Gate" he said "All the other Clans before us, rather they be supernatural or not, gave into the temptation that the Prisoners had to offer." 

"What made the Matthews so special?" I asked "Why were they able to resist the temptation?" 

His lip twitched up into a millimeter smile which softened his whole face in a way that made him more welcoming.