F O R T Y - F O U R

SIN

Present day

"So you see" Zephyr grabbed my hands "Since the very first day that we've met, I've knew who you were to me."

"You knew this whole time?" I asked, hurt lacing my tone "That we were Mates? And you didn't think to tell me?" 

"Serenity..." he started but I cut him off. 

 "This whole time! You knew!" I pushed at his chest "You knew that I was struggling with my feelings! You knew how hard it is for me to trust people and you still didn't tell me!" 

He let me shove and punch at his chest for a few minutes, gazing at me with agony filled eyes. 

"Serenity..." My Uncle said softly "The boy has had enough. He's starting to bruise." 

I glared at him but immediately stopped my assault. 

My Uncle gripped my wrist and dragged me away from Zephyr. 

I yanked my wrist out of his grasp and glared up at him  "What does being a Guardian mean? And why were the Matthews chosen?"

"Being a Guardian means to make sure that whatever's trapped inside those gates never get out" my Uncle said softly, guiding me to the right "And as for why we were chosen specifically, I don't really know all the specifics. The Chief would though. He was one of the first Guardians ever made."

He nodded for me to follow him but I stayed rooted to the spot.

When he noticed I wasn't following him, he looked over his shoulder "You coming?"

"I can't go in there" I shook my head "I'm not dead."

"You don't have to be dead to go into your family's Elysium" Zephyr finally spoke up, his jaw clenching "That's what makes the Matthew's Elysium special. The living descendants can enter it at their will since you all will become guardians eventually."

I whirled on him, my anger sparking "You knew we were coming here all along, didn't you?" 

His silence was an answer in and of itself.  

"Let's go." I said, taking a step in my uncle's direction. 

Before I could take another one, a familiar hand grabbed my wrist to stop me. 

"Serenity..." he said softly "I don't want to leave this unfinished. I don't want to fight with you." 

I snorted. 

"Please Serenity" he pleaded "Once you go in there, I can't follow you."