The Story Behind Lance Baker

Chapter Twenty-Four... The Story Behind Lance Baker

I awoke early the next morning to hear a pounding on the door. I slowly opened my eyes, watching Cameron walk past me. It would have been about seven...

I gradually sat up, the triplets all awake and kicking. I heard a distinctive voice from downstairs. Lance. He'd returned from his "adventures" a few weeks ago, but I wanted to know why. I knew why he left... he claimed he would never return. I was determined to know why he was back...

I strolled downstairs, realising how quiet it was without the girls here.

"Morning, Rosie," Lance smiled at me as I walked downstairs.

"Hmm, you woke me up," I groaned.

"Sorry, sis," he said, still smiling.

"What are you here so early for?" I asked. "It's Sunday."

"I came to see my baby brother," Lance answered. "We're going out fishing today."

"Oh, really?" I raised my eyebrow, looking at Cameron.

"We only just decided to," Cameron explained. "Just... a guys day."

"I thought you took time off to spend with me and the girls," I countered.

"It's one day, Rose," Cameron whispered in my ear. "Please? Lance needs me."

"Okay, what are you to keeping from me?" I snapped suddenly. "Ever since you came back, Lance, you two have been keeping little whispers in the corner like schoolgirls. I'm an adult, and I can handle whatever it is!"

"Rosie," Lance said, putting his arm around me. "All in good time."

Cameron looked like he wanted to tell me, but something was holding him back. I wanted to know, and a part of me was getting worried.

"Fine," I said in a near-silent breath. "I'm gonna... put the butterfly stickers up in Becca's room."

Cameron kissed me goodbye, and I watched as he left with Lance. What were they hiding from me?

I wondered if it had something to do with why Lance left in the first place. It was possible, that was for sure. Lance had left town because he got into a bit of trouble when he had an affair with a married woman, and then she fell pregnant. The husband found out about the affair, and threatened to kill Lance, who didn't know the woman was married...

As far as we know, the baby was her husbands' child. But we never asked. And Lance chose to run away, avoiding the trouble. I felt for him, though, because he really did love the woman that he was with. But she'd lied to him...

 Lance swore he'd never return because they lived around here. So it would take something pretty big to have him return. Was he sick? Was he dying? Or was it just a coincidence, and he's sick of being away from his family?

I let the thoughts out of my mind and took to Becca's room with the butterfly stickers. It took an hour to put the whole lot of them up, and then I still had Addy's room to go! But Addy's room wasn't painted yet, so I'd have to paint it first. But I wasn't in the mood to paint, so I put up Becca's Dora poster.