Our New Place

Chapter Thirty-Eight... Our New Place

"I am SICK of being a goddamn cripple! I wanna walk again!"

Ever since the accident, I had become more prone to mood swings and fits of anger. Cameron had even resorted to continually asking me if I was pregnant, which would only make me angrier. Especially since it had been three weeks since we'd been intimate, and two weeks since the accident. He'd just roll his eyes and tell me to grow up, which was something he'd never said to me before. At first, I was offended by it. But now, I just told him I was female, and therefore was allowed to be hormonal.

He simply nodded curtly, and turned to walk away.

"Rose, honey," he sighed as I sat on our bed, trying to irritably scratch at the itchy cast on my arm. "I know you're frustrated. But you have to be patient. You need to heal."

"No, I need my life back!" I muttered bitterly.

"Life has an annoying tendency to be unfair," he chuckled. "Just stop taking your anger out on me. I didn't do anything. I've only been trying to help you."

"Yeah," I snorted. "I need to get out of this house! It's doing my head in!"

"Well, I can do that," Cameron grinned, looking pleased with himself.

"Okay, my ribs might be healed enough that it doesn't hurt to stand up and stretch," I began. "But I'm not good at hopping, I hate the wheelchair and my arm prevents me from using crutches. Are you gonna carry me to the damn car?"

"Yes, if I have to," he winked.

"Okay, well take me anywhere but here," I smiled, standing up on my one good foot.

I slowly hopped over to Becca's made bed. She and Addy were both at school. Thank God! It was Tuesday and they had both spent the last three days at home, arguing over toys, the television and the swings outside. And when it started raining, Becca took to chasing Addy around the house... and Cameron just let them! I had a headache, I grew sick of their bickering and all I wanted was to get in my car and happily drive away, leaving them there with Cameron alone.

But then I remembered I couldn't simply just leave, and today was my haven.

"Where are we going?" I asked as I slowly half-walked on my injured leg to Lily's cot, picking her up. Amazingly, I could pick the kids up, but I would instantly sit down once I had one of them.

"Our house," Cameron smiled. "I've put the trailer on, and it's full of things from... all over the house. We'll stay up there tonight."

"But our beds are here," I pointed out.

"Well, my parents gave us a new bed," he confessed. "The kids have new beds, too. Because they want our beds for when they babysit, or when we come to visit."

"So why didn't they buy the new beds for themselves?" I asked. "I hate it when our parents do that..."

"I know, me too," he sighed. "But they're our housewarming gifts."

"They're one hell of a housewarming gift!" I groaned.

"Look, they wouldn't take them back," he explained. "I tried, but it just didn't work!"

"Okay," I sighed. "Well, we're not gonna make it back in time to pick up the girls!"

"Relax, Rose," Cameron said, laughing. "Rachel's offered to pick them up and she and Nathan are gonna take them for the night."