19. A Blast From The Very Distant Past

Chapter Nineteen... A Blast From The Very Distant Past

In life, there are always going to be things that take you by surprise, no matter what you know. And for me? Well, a lot of things took me by surprise.

See, I learnt a very long time ago that you can't really plan for anything. Because I plan for things a lot, but plans change. The future is unpredictable, all that sort of stuff. But I believed it, and don't bother trying to plan for much. Cameron and I had planned to have a family holiday a little while ago, but then I fell pregnant with Emily, and we just never went.

That's just an example.

But today I was with little Emily, shopping around for some new clothes for all of my kids. Becca's clothes always seemed to disappear, and weeks later we'd find Addy trying them on! A lot of Addy's clothes were Becca's previously, and Lily wore clothes that both her sisters once wore. Plus, she had some new ones of her own.

I picked up an adorable dress that would suit all of the girls, but it was Lily's size. A woman stood next to me, and she grabbed the same dress, smiling.

"Adorable, aren't they?" I smiled, placing the dress I had a hold of on the handle of Emily's pram.

"Oh, my little Tanisha will look beautiful in this!" the woman grinned.

I couldn't help but notice how familiar this woman looked. But I couldn't place her for the life of me. I ignored it, thinking that I was seeing things. I mean, for all I knew she was just another face in the crowd that I'd seen before.

"Hadley?" a man's voice called. "Honey? Is Tanisha over there with you?"

"No!" the woman named Hadley shouted back. But the man appeared suddenly behind her.

"You don't need to yell," the man groaned as I went back to looking at clothes.

"Well, Eric, I wasn't expecting you to be standing right near me!" Hadley frowned.

"Hey..." Eric's voice trailed off. "Uh... is your name Rose?" It took me a minute to realise that the man was talking to me.

"Yes," I smiled weakly.

"Rose Fisher?" he asked.

"Huh?" I frowned. "Do you know me?"

"We... Hadley and I... we used to go to elementary school together," Eric confessed. "You haven't changed a bit!"

"Oh, I knew you looked familiar!" Hadley cried. "Wow!"

"I knew that you had to have known me in the past," I chuckled. "When you called my Rose Fisher. I mean, nobody's called me that since I was sixteen."

"Sixteen?" Hadley frowned. "Did you change your last name?"

"No, I got married," I smiled.

"At sixteen?" Hadley questioned.

"Yes," I replied.

"Wow, that's pretty cool," Eric smiled.

"Why?" Hadley asked. "Were you pregnant, and kind of had to?"

"Yes I was pregnant," I confessed. "But I didn't have to get married. My husband Cameron... well, he just proposed when I told him about the baby."