30. A Mother Of Eight

Chapter Thirty... A Mother Of Eight

"Is it a boy or a girl?" I asked breathlessly.

"It's a girl," Cameron smiled.

"Oh, wow," I cried. "We have five daughters, Cam. Five!"

"Here is your daughter," the midwife grinned. "Congratulations. She's beautiful."

"Thank you," I smiled back at her. "Jeez, now we have to name her. I like so many different names, I'm not sure what..."

"Well, we can wait until you have the other one?" Cameron suggested.

"Could be a while," the doctor informed us. "You're only five centimetres dilated at the moment, so it could be... yeah... a while."

"That gives us time to think," Cameron smiled.

"Yeah," I agreed, holding our newborn daughter in my arms.

I watched as the doctor got a page and fled from the room in a panic. I wondered if that was what it was like when I had Emily, everything going into a panic? I suppose it would have been, but I couldn't really remember. It all happened so fast...

"You like the name Olivia still, right?" Cameron interrupted my thoughts.

"Of course," I answered. "I've always loved the name, and always considered it. But chose Emily over it last time, remember?"

"Well, let's see..." he said thoughtfully. "We've got Rebecca Elizabeth, Addison Paige, Lily Grace and Emily Jade."

"I think we've got some beautiful name choices there," I noted with a grin.

"Exactly," he agreed, chuckling. "Well I was thinking Olivia Maddison Baker, after your middle name? Just a suggestion, of course."

"You know what?" I smiled. "I think that's her name. Olivia Maddison... I love it."

"This was easier than I thought it was going to be," he grinned. "Hello, Olivia. Welcome to our family. It gets pretty hectic, just a fair warning. But you'll love it. Because we are all close, and we are all loving, and you're a twin, of course. So when your brother or sister decides it's time to move out of the womb, you'll get to meet them."

"Nice speech," I complimented.

"Well, we're the parents to five girls," he began. "Bec's gonna be a teenager in like, less than four years. So when she's eighteen Addy will be fifteen, and Lily will be thirteen and a half, and the boys, too. Emily will be ten... and then Olivia and the other little cherub will be eight and a half. So... they're all gonna be hormonal and moody within ten years, and we're gonna need to be close and loving to be ready for all that."

"Spoken like a true father," I laughed.

Olivia fell asleep in my arms, and the nurse came to take her away so that I could have the other baby. It felt weird having a name for one but not the other... really weird.

It was over half an hour before I was fully dilated to have baby number eight. My eighth child, and then everyone would call me a mother of eight. Like that Octomom, except mine were spread out over almost a decade.

Nevertheless, I loved that I was about to be a mother to eight children. And though it was far from my mind, I could possibly in the future end up with more. Who knows? But now I could feel that the baby was definitely coming, and Cameron stood by my side.