15. Hang On, My Sweet Little Girl

Chapter Fifteen... Hang On, My Sweet Little Girl

"How the hell does the fact that I had a cesearean mean I'm on fricken bed rest?!"

I wanted to see my baby. I needed to see her. But the doctors wouldn't let me. Not for a couple of days. How was it that I was the mother, but yet I hadn't seen my baby girl yet? It was hurting me!

"Look, the doctors said you can't go into the neonatal ICU yet, Mrs Baker," the nurse, named Tallie, explained for the hundredth time. "You have to wait."

"But she doesn't even have a name yet," I frowned. "She's unnamed. And I can't name her before I see her! My husband's been in surgery, so they won't even let him see her. My kids spent the night with my brother, or in hospital... this is driving my crazy!"

"Rose," Tallie sighed, taking a deep breath. "Your daughter is doing well. As well as she can. Now I know it's hard for you to be away from her. Most mothers struggle when they can't hold their little ones because they're sick. But your daughter was born fourteen weeks premature. She should have been in there for at least another twelve weeks. You can't blame yourself for that, though."

"No, if I hadn't have jumped out of the way and landed on my stomach the baby would still be inside of me!" I snapped.

"If you hadn't have jumped out of the way, Rose, then you and the baby would probably be dead," Tallie said grimly.

"I wanna see her," I said, tears welling in my eyes. "I wanna see her."

"In a couple of days," Tallie smiled weakly. "When you're better yourself. The baby... she's only small. She's tiny. She's a preemie. And it's hard on the parents, because they don't get to bond with their babies straight away."

"How do you know how I feel?" I asked, frowning.

"I see women through here everyday with premature babies. And worse... stillborn babies. It's hard not to burst into tears yourself. Trust me. I know how you feel."

"No, but you have a fair idea."

"It's hard, Rose. But you'll get there. You both will. And before you know it you'll be holding her in your arms, and taking her home."

I just wanted to cry. I wanted to get up and run off, but I knew it would hurt. I wanted to see my baby girl so badly!

"How's my husband?" I asked, trying to change the subject.

"He's awake," Tallie answered.

"Can I see him?" I frowned.

"Yes, you can," she smiled. "Your husband and son are in the same room. We can take you there, for a while."

"But... I'm not allowed out of bed yet," I said slowly.

"Post operative patients are encouraged to get out of bed the next day," Tallie replied. "Out of bed to chair."

"Wheelchair?" I frowned. "I hate those things..."

"Yes, but you love your family," she chuckled. "And if you wanna see them, then you go by chair."

"Fine," I groaned.

The move from the bed to the wheelchair was painful. I cried a bit, but was alright once I was sitting down. Tallie, my friendly but stubborn nurse, wheeled me into Cameron and Zane's room.

"Rose!" Cameron grinned. He was laying in bed. "God, you're alright after all!"

"Yes, I am," I smiled weakly.

"Zane was awake an hour ago," Cameron smiled. "He'd hit his head... but doesn't have any brain injury."

"Thank God," I gasped.

"He was lucky, but they still wanna monitor him," Cameron continued. "And he has a couple of broken ribs and they're monitoring him for internal bleeding, too. But he's fine, or he seems it."

"That's good," I smiled.

"How's the baby?" he asked. "How is she?"

"They're telling me she's okay," I sighed. "But they won't let me see her."

"Why not?" Cameron asked, looking at Tallie.

"I'm only going by the instructions of the doctors and nurses of the NICU," Tallie answered. "I'll leave you two alone. Maybe now that you're out of bed, they might let you see her."

"They already should," I scowled.

"So... have you got a name for her yet?" Cameron asked.

"I wanna see her first," I sighed. "But I have a few in mind."

"So do I," Cameron grinned.

"Yeah?" I asked. Like what?"

"My two favourite are... Sarah Julia or... Bella Rose."

"Bella Rose? Wow... I like it. But Rose... well, that's my name. Then she'd get called Bella, yes. But uh..."

"Look, what did you have in mind, Rose?"

"I like Isabella Jade, Nicola May or Olivia Jade."

"Wow, I like all of them."

"See?! I need to see her!"

"Rose, you'll get to see her. You will get to see her."

Tears welled in my eyes again. I wanted to at least see my baby girl. It was hurting me not to see her, not to be near her.

The nurse, Tallie, returned a few minutes later looking happy.

"They've all agreed that you can meet your daughter, Rose," Tallie grinned.

"Seriously?!" I squealed. "When?"

"Right now," she replied.

I was wheeled then into the neonatal ICU. It was a scary place in here, especially that when I was wheeled in there a group of doctors surrounded a tiny baby boy, trying to bring him back to life. Tears welled instantly in my eyes.

"Okay, here is your baby girl," the NICU nurse, Patricia, smiled.

I couldn't help but smile even though she was extremely tiny and might not live. She was still beautiful. I hadn't seen a premature baby close up before, because all of my kids were big babies. Except for her, of course. She was so small.

And while I looked at her, the perfect name for her came to my mind.

"Emily," I breathed.

"Is Emily her name?" Patricia asked.

"Yes, she's an Emily," I sniffled, tears rolling down my cheeks.

I watched her for about an hour. She was awake, and so strong. A fighter... a fighter by far. All I could hope now was that my newborn daughter would live. I was then taken back to Cameron for a while, where we both agreed on the name.

Our new daughter was Emily Jade Baker.

Things would be hard for all of us for a while, but I was looking up for happier times to come.