Perfect Little Moments

Chapter Four... Perfect Little Moments

I awoke early in the morning to a horrifying scream. Becca's lungs were good, but I knew instantly that something was wrong. I couldn't get out of bed quick enough as I made it to Becca's room in record time.

My little girl sat in the corner of her crib, crying and pointing at the window. I swiftly looked outside to see someone running up the street. A man, definitely young, dressed in all black and looking back occasionally. I glared at the man who had clearly made an attempt to get into my apartment through the window of my daughter's room.

I picked up Becca and soothed her. I knew that Cameron would sleep through this, as it took a lot to wake him up. I ran to my bedroom, carrying Becca in my arms as I went. I sat down on the bed and shook Cameron until he woke.

"What? What's up?" he asked groggily, struggling to open his eyes.

"Someone tried to break in," I said in a rush. "Through Becca's bedroom window!"

Suddenly Cameron was wide awake.

"Shit!" he shouted as he rushed out of bed and into Becca's room. I followed, Becca cuddling up to my chest and holding on for grim death.

"It's a wonder you didn't hear her screaming," I sighed. "I came in here and she was curled up in the corner, bawling her eyes out and pointing to the window. He'd obviously terrified her."

"Did you see him?" Cameron asked.

"Not really, no," I sighed sadly. "Just his back as he ran down the street."

"I wish I'd seen him," Cameron sighed. "I'd chase the bastard and hunt him down, then kick his ass. Trying to break into my house..."

"Daddy, there was a man at my window," Becca whispered, tears welling in her little eyes. It made me want to cry.

"Did you see what he looked like, sweetie?" I asked quietly.

"He was big, and scary," she mumbled.

"She's tired, I can tell," I sighed.

"Take her and put her to sleep in with you," Cameron said quietly. "I'm gonna call the cops."

"Seriously, Cam," I frowned. "What are they gonna do at this time in the night?"

"I've gotta try!" Cameron snapped. "Just take Becca and go to bed. I'll sleep on the lounge and we'll get security bars put on the windows in the morning."

"Okay," I whispered.

I took Becca and cuddled up with her in our bed. Within minutes she was sound asleep, and I drifted off not long after.

^^^^

I awoke the next day to Becca slapping my face. Great... It had been a long night. When the police turned up an hour after Cameron rang them, I woke up to greet them. They actually caught the guy, too, when he broke into an apartment down the road. Stupid...

I got up, and went to the kitchen to cook some breakfast. Becca walked alongside me, asking about the man at the window. She was still afraid to go into her own room, though. Not that I could blame her. I would be afraid, too.