The Worst Day

Chapter Thirty-Six... The Worst Day

I was laying on the cold tar car park. My entire body ached, and I couldn't move. I could hear my name being called... I think it was Cameron... and I couldn't manage to open my eyes. I couldn't remember what had happened, but I knew it had to be bad. I had never been in so much pain before, but I struggled to remain conscious.

I had been unconscious... But for how long?

"Rose?" I heard Cameron's worried voice speak.

"I didn't even see her until it was too late to stop," I heard a woman say. "I'm so sorry..."

"I'll forgive you if my wife lives," Cameron said harshly.

"The paramedics are coming," another woman's voice spoke. "The police, too. They wanna know how a woman got struck down by a car in a car park."

"I've been drinking..." the first woman spoke. "I'll be arrested... I know it!"

"Calm down, Freya!" a man hissed.

"I was the one behind the wheel!" Freya cried.

"She'll be okay, I think," the man said, sounding annoyed.

"You don't know that John!" Freya wailed. "I could have killed her!"

"She's breathing!" John snapped. "She's alive, Freya. You didn't kill her."

"He's right," Cameron said wearily. "Rose is alive..."

"For now," Freya sighed.

"Don't talk like that!" Cameron shouted.

"I'm sorry," Freya said quickly, and I heard footsteps walking away. I just wanted to move...

And I finally managed to open my eyes.

"Rose!" Cameron said excitedly, looking distressed as he came into view. "Honey, how are you?"

"Ouch..." was all I managed to say.

"She's conscious?" Freya asked from a distance, and I realised that she was the one who had walked away.

"You could have been stupid and drove away, Freya, but you didn't," John said encouragingly. "That's something."

"Yeah," the other woman spoke. "Look, I have a restaurant full of people inside. They're gonna get curious and start flowing out. I've got staff keeping the place in lockdown, for the privacy of your wife, Mr Baker. But... I can't keep them detained forever. They'll go insane."

"No, thanks for all of your help, Winnie," Cameron said, smiling weakly at the woman who was looking professional. She must have been the restaurant manager.

"What... happened?" I managed to say slowly. The pain in my body was almost unbearable, but I tried not to let it get to me. I couldn't move my left leg at all, and I was pretty sure that from the radiating pain from it, it was broken.

"You were ran over," Winnie said softly.

"By me," Freya said, looking shocked. "I am so sorry, Mrs Baker."

"Rose," I gasped. "Call me Rose."

"Rose," Freya said slowly, looking pale and in disbelief.

In the distance I heard sirens, and then I heard a baby cry. Something suddenly occured to me.