A Wedding And A Birth

Chapter Twenty-Six... A Wedding And A Birth

Two weeks had passed since Cassie arrived in town. And she and Lance had spent every single second together. She had enlisted my help to convince Lance to tell his family about his fate, but we had so far been unsuccessful.

I had begun to get pretty uncomfortable, and I was helping Cassie plan her wedding. Everything was coming along nicely. Cassie had asked for Becca and Addy to be her flowergirls, but she didn't have a ringbearer so Addy would ride in a little carriage and hold them. That was Cassie's idea. I'd just hope that Addy wouldn't start throwing them at people...

The wedding was set for the next day, as Cassie and Lance wanted to marry before the birth of their son. Lance was sure he'd see his son's birth, but of course we were all on edge over it. Cassie kept telling him to hang on forever if he could, but she knew that it wouldn't be long before he would be gone.

Doctors had given him a year... two months ago.

Lance was a fighter, but for now he was just a man who desperately wanted to marry the love of his life. And for them to be together for the second time, to be engaged and to be expecting a child together was a wonderful thing, and in my eyes that meant they were meant to be together. I could only see love in their eyes, and I never saw them fight or bicker.

I had helped Cassie into her dress for one last try-on before the big day.

"Oh, I can't believe we're getting married tomorrow," Cassie smiled at her reflection in the mirror. "It seems like only yesterday we became engaged."

"How long have you been engaged for?" I asked, smiling at Cassie's happiness.

"Oh, about a year," she answered.

"Before you were pregnant?"

"Yeah. I mean, the baby wasn't planned, but I wouldn't give it up for anything. It's been the most amazing experience. I feel Alexander kicking me, and all I do is smile. And Lance smiles. He's got like, ten months to live, so he's definitely gonna see his son. But... he could still go at any time. I mean, they couldn't give us an exact time frame..."

"You don't have to talk about it if it makes you uncomfortable."

"It's... it's not that. I just can't believe it's still gonna happen."

"Neither can I. I've known Lance since I was thirteen years old. Knowing that he's gonna die, I... I can't digest that."

"I've known him since I was fifteen, and he asked me out. We were always in love... We've always been in love. We're like you and Cameron. True love. And... we're gonna have a child to love soon, too."

"He's like another brother to me. I don't know what I'm gonna do when he's not around."

"I just... I'm hoping for a miracle. But miracles aren't that common. And... not with this type of thing."

"I know."

"I just need... I need tomorrow. I need a day to not be about my fiancé dying."

"Well... why not start tonight. How about I throw you an impromptu hen's night?"

"A hen's night? I'm pregnant!"

"And so am I. But that doesn't mean we can't all have some fun and watch a hot stripper take his clothes off. Besides, I never got a hen's night. I was sixteen, and pregnant... oh, we're gonna do it anyway."