17. The Beautiful Emily Jade

Chapter Seventeen... The Beautiful Emily Jade

Time was passing me by way too fast.

I could remember a time when it was just Cameron and I. Two happy, carefree teenagers that opened up our hearts to each other and fell in love at a young age. And our love led to Becca. I may have been sixteen, but I look back now and know that we never did anything wrong by her, and could always provide for her as her parents.

For two and a half years it was just the three of us. Most of the time it was good, but the hard times came, too. And then we learnt we were to add another addition to our family. Told to expect a boy, we went crazy with blue. But to our surprise, our second child was another girl, who we named Addison. Two girls, both beautiful and intelligent.

But we wanted a boy.

It didn't take long to get pregnant at all, and I was in shock when I learnt I was carrying triplets! Yes, now I'd have my hands full with five kids. And I was blessed with two sons, and another daughter- Ethan, Zane and Lily.

Now my kids were eight, five and almost four. Then Becca would turn nine (cringe) and not long after, Addy would be six. But the triplets turned four first, in just a month.

But at the moment, my thoughts lay with our sixth child, Emily. She was born fourteen weeks premature, but she was so strong. And I sat in the hospital holding her again. She was now six weeks old, and getting so much bigger. But she still had about another six weeks in hospital, and I hated that. I just wanted to take my baby girl home, so that our family could be together for the first time.

"She's getting big now," the nurse smiled, looking over my shoulder. "She feeds well now, too. Won't be too much longer now, and you'll have her home."

"I hope so," I whispered, holding Emily's tiny hand.

"Well, she's up to four pounds almost now," the nurse said. "The doctors today, while you were at home with your other kids, were saying that she'll probably be released when she reaches seven pounds, and is cleared of any medical problems."

"That's great," I smiled.

"I'll leave you alone with her," the nurse grinned, leaving to tend to one of the other babies.

I got a little scared a couple of days before when a baby, bigger and older than Emily, died in the NICU. I was sitting here, just holding Emily, tears in my eyes.

That could have been my daughter.

But all my hopes now were on getting my girl home for the first time. I spent more time at home with the other kids now, and felt like things were slowly starting to go back to normal.

Becca and Addy went to school as normal. The triplets attended daycare, and Cameron returned to work. Rachel, Nathan and Ryder, however, still lived in our house, given that they sold their home in order to move to Seattle. And they chose to live with us until they found their own house in Seattle.

We had even gotten the hang of giving Addy her insulin. At first we struggled with getting it right, but now we had it down. And she didn't try and fight us as much anymore, and knew when it was time. I suppose, when I was little i had asthma, and mom told me it was a fight to get me to use my inhaler. So Addy took after me a lot, then...