New Year? Or A Night From Hell?

Chpter Fifteen... New Year? Or A Night From Hell?

We had ultimately decided that we would sit by the river in our lovely town and watch the midnight fireworks over on the other side rather than party rebelliously for New Year's Eve. I agreed that if we wanted to have another child, we should probably stop drinking not because it's stupid to, but the cost of alcohol...

Becca was painting us all standing watching the fireworks that morning after we told her what we were doing. Addy sat there laughing, not entirely sure at what but she's just such a happy baby, you don't argue with that.

We readied the kids to go to the fireworks, well knowing that they were usually asleep by now. They had a sleep earlier on in the night, and we decided that they should join us, too. Becca was heaps excited, and skipped all the way down to the car. I held her hand, whilst I held a sooky Addy in the other arm. Addy was still half-asleep...

I put the girls in the car. The winter chill wasn't as intense today, but snow still completely covered the ground. We had several blankets, jackets, etc to keep us warm, though it was lucky we could watch from the car if it was too cold outside. So many people went to the fireworks in our town, it was good to see.

We decided to get out of the car when several people stood in the way, blocking our view. Becca silently followed me and Cameron, grasping my hand tightly. Addy curled up into Cameron's chest, and we took a seat on a park bench right near the water. Becca climbed up on the seat, sitting next to me.

"Are you cold, Becca?" I asked, smiling.

"No, mommy," she replied, staring out over the water. "Is it time yet?"

I glanced at my watch. It was two minutes to midnight.

"In two minutes, sweetie," I told her.

"But how come not now?" she asked.

"Because it isn't midnight yet, darling," I chuckled.

"Time moves too slow," she mumbled.

"No, it will go quick," I promised her, looking at my watch to see that I'd talked to her for almost a minute.

We sat there again in silence, Addy now fully awake and staring at the snow on the ground beneath her. I smiled at Cameron as we'd caught each other's eyes. He winked at me and I giggled, probably like some crazed schoolgirl. I guess I was pretty much still a schoolgirl, given that I had college to go yet.

The fireworks started off with a bang, literally. I looked over to see the look on Becca's face, knowing well that she was excited to be here. But I could have died when I glanced beside me to notice that my three year old daughter was no longer sitting beside me. She must've moved silently, because I didn't hear her at all.

I glanced around behind us worriedly, looking for her. Cameron looked at me, frowning.

"What is it?" he shouted over the booming of the fireworks.

"Becca," I said in a panicked voice. "She was right here... where is she?!"

Suddenly both of us were on our feet, abandoning our blankets and bags and stuff. The man who stood next to us was a family friend, so we asked him to babysit Addy and our stuff hurriedly. He took Addy and smiled, and we both ran off in opposite directions, screaming out our daughter's name.