PART 9

EVANNA seated herself on a scarlet armchair , threaded with gold strings , that crossed each other and travelled down to the wooden legs like the pelt of gold fur upon a red plumage

EVANNA seated herself on a scarlet armchair , threaded with gold strings , that crossed each other and travelled down to the wooden legs like the pelt of gold fur upon a red plumage. Her feet gently tapped the soft , embroidered carpet that covered the maple wood floor.

A warm , bright fire burned inside the marble hearth - tinting the room in a comforting , orange light. The windows that rose from the thresholds across the wooden floor were arched , and beaded cushions - some embroidered with gold lions - lay scattered on the couches that sat mismatched upon the red-and-gold carpet.

The room was quite aesthetically pleasing , had it not been for the crumbs of food , bottles , books and even scrumps of wrinkled clothes that lay on the floor , or on the tables. Evanna had made sure to clear her place before she sat. Either the Gyrffindors were extremely lazy , or extremely untidy. On her part , she was yet to decide which quality they possessed in excess , or maybe a little of both.

She couldn't help , but compare the place with the Ravenclaw Common Room. Initially , when she hadn't spontaneously decided to be a Ravenclaw , Evanna had thought that the lair of snakes would be the most pleasing to the eye. But now that she had seen three Common Rooms - she knew each was different , each unique and extravagant.

Maybe it was her bias , but the Ravenclaw Common Room appeared the most elegant of all. With it's royal blue couches and soft carpets designed for reading , littering the spot in front of the burning blue flames of the hearth , the thick , velvet blue curtains that flowed down like a mesmerising waterfall and the tall shelves of old , leather-bound books - made the room seem almost other-wordly. Not to mention , the permanent smell of pine , linen , lemon and old parchment that hung in the air , the monthly quizzes to test everyone , the weekly book-club meetings where everyone was free to share whatever they felt about a certain book. Merlin , they even discussed cinema. Some muggle-born Ravenclaws had successfully smuggled disk-like objects - which they called CDs - containing beautiful ,sequenced events called a 'film.'

Evanna had enjoyed it all. She wondered if the Gryffindors did things like them.

Across from her , seated on a rug - lying in front of another armchair was Hermione Granger. Her mouth was agape and her brown eyebrows were furrowed in confusion. Harry sat somewhat stiffly behind Hermione , eyes focusing on the golden egg that sat atop his palms. Ronald Weasley's eyes had drifted in boredom towards the ceiling , as he lay comfortably on the couch as though not in the presence of a stranger.

Evanna admired this quality of indifference about him.

She had just told them that the egg needed a catalyst , more specifically , water. And that the second task would take place on the banks of the Black Lake. Hermione had had a hard time believing her , and now sat baffled - while Harry kept zoning in and out.

"And , how are we supposed to open the egg using water ? More specifically , what is the process ?", Hermione asked , finally regaining her composure. Evanna's lips quipped upwards in an easy smile , as she leaned back and crossing her arms across her chest - said ,"I need something in return."