Jack

Jack Baker was the fourteen year old nephew of Pete's younger sister Jackie. The boy was stood five six and was rail thin. He had light brown hair that he combed back and hazel eyes.

The boy's life was one of frustration for several reasons. One of which was that he had no idea who his father was. He had asked his mother on several occasions but she would only tell him that she did not know. He would then ask how she could not know to which she would tell him to drop the subject. Or those times that he did not drop the subject usually earned him a session over her knee with a hairbrush. His mom loved to use the hairbrush on him to keep him in line.

Jack had asked his uncle Pete if he knew but he had no idea who his father was. Nor did his mom's other siblings.

And then there was his mother's behavior. Jackie Baker was a party girl that never grew up. She spent more time at parties getting drunk and going home with strange men then she did being a mother to him. And as if her immature behavior was not enough she constantly treated him like he was a ten year old.

"Jack." Jackie called from downstairs. "Jack come down here please."

Jack bounded down the stairs into the kitchen and his mother shot him a dirty look. "Do you really need to do that?"

Jack shrugged as he said "I don't know."

Jackie shook her head as she said "You are really cruising for a paddling you know that."

A worried look crossed his face as he instinctively placed his hands on his backside. "Sorry." He said not able to look her in the eyes.

"I just heard from Mrs. Williams her husband is sick so she will not be able to watch you tonight." Mrs. Williams was an older neighbor that his mom had watch him when she was out partying. "So I don't have anyone to babysit you so you are going to spend the night at your Uncle Pete's and Aunt Lori's."

Jack sighed impatiently. "I am fourteen years old mom I don't need a babysitter."

"Yes you do honey." Jackie said. "I can't leave you by yourself all night."

"You could just stay home then." Jack said.

She then smirked and said "I can't I have plans."

"You always have plans." He said with frustration in his voice.

"Yes I do Jack it's called having a life."

Jack then hit the countertop with his fists as he said "I don't want to go over Uncle Pete's."

Jackie blinked in surprise. "Don't you take that tone with me young man!" Jack took a step back and she said "Now go pack yourself a bag for tonight and be down here in five minutes."

"Fine." He said as he turned around and ran upstairs.

"I would lose that attitude if you were you little boy unless you want to be grounded for the next two weeks." She yelled after him.

As Jack ran upstairs he wondered if his mom even bothered to tell Uncle Pete and Aunt Lori if he was coming or if his staying overnight was a surprise she was springing on them. Knowing mom he thought it is probably the latter.