Waiting in the car

Jack sat silently in the passenger seat of his mom's car as they pulled into a neighborhood. They soon pulled up to an unfamiliar two story blue house and Jack asked "Whose house is this?"

"None of your business." Jackie said sharply.

"One of your boyfriends?" He asked with bitterness in his voice. He wondered if this was a new one or one of the losers he had already met.

"I said it's none of your business." Frustration was in her voice as she spoke.

"Stay in the car." She commanded giving him in impatient look.

"Yes ma'am." Jack said. He then looked away from her.

Jackie got of the car and then walked up to the door. A man in his mid forties opened the door before she had a chance to knock. He smiled as he looked at her and the two kissed. Jack's body filled with disgust at the sight.

"A new loser." He said as he watched his mother walk into the house with him. He shook his head in dismay as he thought another worthless jerk who is going to take advantage of her and toss her aside like garbage when he is done with her. And she will be too blinded by love to see it.

Minutes ticked slowly by as he waited patiently in the car. He kept looking at the house hoping that his mom would emerge any minute. But ten and then twenty minutes had passed with no sign of her. After thirty minutes he began to wonder if his mother had forgotten he was there which would not surprise him. This would not be the first time she had forgotten that he was sitting outside waiting for her.

At forty minutes he was tempted to get out of the car and knock on the door. He had his hand on the door handle ready to get out when nervousness filled him. He knew that his mom would punish him if he got out, maybe he even have the new boyfriend beat him for it. A lump formed in his throat at the thought of getting in trouble and he took his hand off the handle. He sunk in his seat hoping that she would not be long.

He looked at the house wondering what they were doing but then thought that he really did not want to know.

Come on mom just take me to Uncle Pete's already he thought.

Disgust filled him as the door opened a few minutes later and his mother was hanging on the man kissing him. The two held hands for a few moments and then she walked back to the car with a large smile plastered across his face. A smile that made the boy nervous.

She got in the car and Jack asked "Aren't you going to introduce me to your new boyfriend." He looked at the man who was standing on the porch.

"He's not my boyfriend Jack." She said as she turned on the car. "He's just a friend."

"A friend." Jack said with skepticism in his voice. That was more than just a friend.

"Yes just a friend." Jackie said as she continued to smile. "A very good friend."

"I can tell." He said as he looked at the house. "Is he your date for tonight?"

"That's really none of your business." Jackie said her voice filled with annoyance. "But no."

"When do I get to met him?"

"I don't know?" Jackie said as her brow furrowed. "Are you going to be a disrespectful little brat with him like you were with Craig?"

Craig Smith was the last loser that she brought around him, the last man that she claimed was the one. From the moment that Jack met him he disliked him. He had not known Jack for two minutes before he insulted him.

"I wasn't rude." He said. "He was being rude to me and I was just defending myself from his verbal abuse."

"Verbal abuse." Jackie said with a small laugh. "Come on Jack stop being so dramatic. Craig was not verbally abusing you, he was joking and you took it the wrong way like you always do." Jackie shook her head as she said "You need to lighten up little boy and stop taking things so seriously."

One of us has to be Jack thought but did not dare to say. "Yes ma'am."

He then sunk back in his seat wondering how long this relationship was going to last.